This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.766 / 53°45'57"N
Longitude: -2.7403 / 2°44'25"W
OS Eastings: 351297
OS Northings: 430211
OS Grid: SD512302
Mapcode National: GBR T3N.VF
Mapcode Global: WH85L.WL8S
Plus Code: 9C5VQ785+9V
Entry Name: Former Coach-House and Stable Block to Ashton Lodge
Listing Date: 20 December 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1218819
English Heritage Legacy ID: 392110
Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR2
Electoral Ward/Division: Ashton
Built-Up Area: Preston
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Ashton-on-Ribble St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
Ashton On Ribble
PEDDER LANE (East side)
Former coach-house and stable block to Ashton Lodge
Coach-house and stable block to Ashton Lodge (q.v.), now workshops. Dated 1851 over rear of entrance archway. Coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Three rectangular blocks with linking screen walls, arranged on the north, south and west sides of a yard. All 2 storeys. The 3-bay symmetrical entrance block, on the west side, has an open-pedmented centre breaking forwards slightly, with very broad pilasters, a square-headed archway, 2 small round-headed windows at 1st floor, a shield in the pediment, a corniced chimney on each side and an elaborate wrought-iron weather vane on a stepped pedestal; the outer bays, also pilastered, each have 3 similar windows at 1st floor, a cornice and parapet, and hipped roof with corniced side chimneys. The rear elevation is similar but with an elliptical-headed archway in the centre, a panel in the pediment lettered "E.P. 1851" [=Edward Pedder] and large inserted rectangular openings in the outer bays. The north range, also symmetrical, has a pedimented centre with a giant wagon archway, and on either side 4 round-headed windows at ground floor and 3 circular pitching holes above (the windows to the right altered). The south range, formerly symmetrical, with a wagon archway in the centre and one doorway each side, now has various inserted doorways.
History: built by Edward Pedder of Ashton Ldge (q.v.).
Listing NGR: SD5129730211
Other nearby listed buildings