History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Central Conservative Club

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7585 / 53°45'30"N

Longitude: -2.6968 / 2°41'48"W

OS Eastings: 354154

OS Northings: 429349

OS Grid: SD541293

Mapcode National: GBR TBB.05

Mapcode Global: WH85M.KS0K

Entry Name: Central Conservative Club

Listing Date: 12 June 1960

Last Amended: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207260

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391957

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

District: Preston

Town: Preston

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5429SW CHURCH STREET
941-1/12/79 (South side)
12/06/50 Nos.140 & 140A
Central Conservative Club
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STREET
Nos.140 & 140A
The Bull and Royal Hotel)

GV II

Conservative Working Men's Club. Dated 1892-3; altered. Red
brick with terracotta and sandstone dressings, slate roof.
Rectangular plan (embraced by Bull and Royal Hotel to right,
q.v.). Jacobean style. Three storey facade of 2 bays plus
corner oriel to left, with plinth, 1st-floor balcony and
2-storey octagonal corner oriel, moulded cornice, balustraded
parapet with gablet over centre. Doorway to right with
pedimented architrave, the bases of the jambs with
inscriptions recording that the foundation stone (left) was
laid by Edmund Birley Esq., JP, on December 17th 1892, and
that the club was opened by the Marquis of Salisbury KG on
October 17th 1893; 3 altered windows to the left; stone
balcony on stone brackets, with delicately scrolled
wrought-iron railings; mullion-and-transom windows on upper
floors (6-lights at 1st floor, 4-lights at 2nd floor), and
tall narrow transomed windows in the oriel (all these windows
with sandstone surrounds); terracotta panels over windows,
those at 1st floor decorated with swags, shields, etc., those
over 2nd floor including panels lettered "P.C.W.M.C." and
"1893". Stepped and pilastered gablet with oculus and
kneelers. Left gable wall rendered.
INTERIOR not inspected. History: Preston Conservative Working
Men's Club originated with organisations promoted among
Protestant working men following 2nd Parliamentary Reform Act
in 1867, to advance the political interests of the local
landlord and property developer Sir W.E.M.Tomlinson MP, in
opposition to middle class Conservative leaders who founded
Guildhall Street Conservative Club (Guildhall House, q.v.).


Listing NGR: SD5415429349

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.