History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Main Block to St Wilfrids Roman Catholic School

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.7583 / 53°45'29"N

Longitude: -2.7039 / 2°42'14"W

OS Eastings: 353688

OS Northings: 429337

OS Grid: SD536293

Mapcode National: GBR T97.ZB

Mapcode Global: WH85M.FSNN

Plus Code: 9C5VQ75W+8C

Entry Name: Main Block to St Wilfrids Roman Catholic School

Listing Date: 12 June 1950

Last Amended: 20 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207274

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391999

Location: City Centre, Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in



941-1/11/116 (West side)
12/06/50 Main Block to St Wilfrid's Roman
Catholic School
(Formerly Listed as:
Fox Street Schools (Roman Catholic))


School. Dated 1814 in pediment; altered and enlarged. Red
brick in Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings and slate
roof. L-plan, formed by rectangular main range with rear wing
to left. Two storeys over basement, a 2:3:2 window range,
symmetrical, the pedimented centre breaking forwards slightly;
with plinth, 1st floor band, plain frieze and moulded cornice.
The doorway has an Ionic doorcase (now rendered) with engaged
columns, frieze with raised lettering "CATHOLIC SCHOOL" and
moulded cornice, cavetto jambs, panelled double doors and
elliptical fanlight with radiating glazing bars; the windows
have raised sills and wedge lintels, and altered 6-pane
glazing; and the pediment contains a lozenge with the date
"1814". Left return wall has doorway with plain surround,
pulvinated frieze, moulded cornice and rectangular overlight,
1 window to the right, another window and a blind window
above, and small modern rear wing (not of special interest)
replacing original rear wing; right-hand gable wall has
basement storey and various 4-pane sashed windows. Rear and
INTERIOR not inspected. History: built by Father Joseph Dunn
S.J., an early pioneer of gas lighting, and said to be the
first school ever lit by piped gas.

Listing NGR: SD5369129334

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.