History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Central Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7585 / 53°45'30"N

Longitude: -2.7034 / 2°42'12"W

OS Eastings: 353724

OS Northings: 429351

OS Grid: SD537293

Mapcode National: GBR T9B.42

Mapcode Global: WH85M.FSXK

Entry Name: Central Methodist Church

Listing Date: 27 September 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1291958

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392083

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5329SE LUNE STREET
941-1/11/196 (West side)
27/09/79 Central Methodist Church

GV II

Wesleyan Methodist chapel, now United Methodist church. 1817,
remodelled 1862-63 by Poulton and Woodman. Brick, with facade
of sandstone ashlar, slate roof. Rectangular plan at
right-angles to street. Two storeys, a symmetrical tripartite
facade dominated by a very dramatic giant round-headed archway
projected from the centre on 2 pairs of giant free-standing
Corinthian columns with a moulded cornice to each pair (run
out to the sides), and with a moulded surround to the arch,
and heavily moulded gable cornice with dentils. Steps under
the arch lead to a full-height rectangular inner porch which
has (inter alia) a giant round-headed window (over altered
doors), and a small round-headed doorway in each side
(blocked). The narrower and lower side bays (which are
porches) each have one round-headed window on each floor, with
imposts and keystones (both lower windows blocked with notice
boards), and a parapet above the run-out cornice. All these
windows have circular geometrical glazing. The side walls have
round-headed windows on both floors, all with margin panes.
The rear has a shallow 2-storey extension with gabled porches
at each end, both with round-headed doorways and fanlights
with radiating glazing bars. INTERIOR: horseshoe gallery of
1875, with curved foliated cast-iron balustrade; rostrum with
similar balustrading.


Listing NGR: SD5371929346

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.