History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

3 and Attached Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7543 / 53°45'15"N

Longitude: -2.6995 / 2°41'58"W

OS Eastings: 353973

OS Northings: 428881

OS Grid: SD539288

Mapcode National: GBR T9X.V9

Mapcode Global: WH85M.HWRS

Entry Name: 3 and Attached Railings

Listing Date: 27 September 1979

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207319

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392122

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5328NE RIBBLESDALE PLACE
941-1/13/229 (South side)
27/09/79 No.3
and attached railings

GV II

House, now office. c.1830, slightly altered. Red brick in
Flemish bond, with sandstone dressings, slate roof and stone
chimneys. Double-depth, double-fronted plan with bow to rear.
Two storeys over basement, 3 bays, symmetrical, the centre
breaking forwards slightly; ashlar basement treated as a
plinth, 1st-floor sill-band, plain frieze and moulded cornice
with blocking course. The centre has a stone porch on 2 steps,
with Ionic columns and pilasters, plain frieze and moulded
cornice with blocking course, protecting a wide
elliptical-arched doorway with a pilastered tripartite wooden
doorcase (side windows and fanlight with altered glazing). The
windows are sashed without glazing bars and have raised sills
and wedge lintels. Hipped roof of shallow pitch, with 8 tall
corniced stone chimneys. The basement areas each side of the
porch are protected by heavily ornamented cast-iron railings,
with rosette and anthemion panels, foliated bands above and
below, and tall finials with rings for former chains, both
sets run-out to terminate against flanking screen walls, with
curved corners, and gates (near the left end and at the
right-hand end, respectively). The left return wall has a
sashed window at 1st floor with margin panes (C20 extension at
ground floor); the right-hand return wall has a tall stair
window. The rear, which is 3-storeyed with basement at ground
level, has a full-height semicircular bow with a round-headed
garden door under a fanlight with radiating tracery, curved
sashed windows on all floors (9-paned at basement level,
without glazing bars above), 1st-floor sill-band carried
round, and a roof deck protected by cast-iron railings; and at
the west end a narrow 2-storey extension with a canted oriel.
INTERIOR: entrance hall with exceptionally elaborate
decoration including a screen with fluted Corinthian columns
distyle in antis, and richly decorated moulded plaster
cornices, etc; staircase with fine curvilinear cast-iron
balusters and wreathed mahogany handrail. History: occupied
c.1840 by John Horrocks (partner in Horrocks, Jacson & Co,
cotton spinners and manufacturers).


Listing NGR: SD5397328881

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.