History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Josephs Orphanage

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7567 / 53°45'23"N

Longitude: -2.7039 / 2°42'13"W

OS Eastings: 353688

OS Northings: 429152

OS Grid: SD536291

Mapcode National: GBR T97.ZY

Mapcode Global: WH85M.FTNY

Entry Name: St Josephs Orphanage

Listing Date: 20 April 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207336

English Heritage Legacy ID: 392173

Location: Preston, Lancashire, PR1

County: Lancashire

Electoral Ward/Division: Town Centre

Built-Up Area: Preston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Preston St John and St George the Martyr

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Preston

Listing Text


PRESTON

SD5329SE THEATRE STREET
941-1/11/277 (West side)
20/04/88 St Joseph's Orphanage

II

Orphanage, now nursing home. 1872, by R.W.Hughes for patron
Mrs Maria Holland. Red brick in English bond with blue brick
and sandstone ashlar dressings, Welsh slate roof. L-plan
formed by main range on east-west axis facing north and long
chapel wing projecting on the east side, with porch tower in
angle. High Victorian Gothic style. Two storeys with basements
and attics. Tower has main entrance in base, with 2-centred
moulded stone arch under blue-red brick relieving arch,
panelled door and overlight (plain glass replacing stained
glass), buttress to right, and plaque above door lettered "St
Joseph's Orphanage / Erected and endowed by / Mrs Maria
Holland / 1872"; 2 lancet windows below the belfry stage which
has offset angle buttresses and louvred 2-light openings with
colonettes and 2-centred relieving arch, and a 2-stage
pyramidal spire interrupted by mid-height windows. The main
range has a gabled centre breaking forwards, with a projected
ground floor lit by transomed windows beneath a band of cross
motifs, 2 pairs of arched windows at 1st floor each with a
recessed oculus beneath the relieving arch, an oculus above
with a hoodmould, and a half-hipped roof; and its outer bays
have 2-centred arches to the ground floor windows, and small
segmental-headed windows beneath ornamented brick eaves. The
chapel wing to the left has large arched 2-light windows with
original patterned glazing, and one has stained glass. Rear
elevation is symmetrical, in similar style, with gabled ends
and centre, and has (inter alia) a statue in a canopied niche.
Hospital wings added to east end and attached to west end.


Listing NGR: SD5368829152

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.