History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Josephs Retreat

A Grade II Listed Building in Islington, Islington

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5686 / 51°34'6"N

Longitude: -0.1417 / 0°8'30"W

OS Eastings: 528892

OS Northings: 187162

OS Grid: TQ288871

Mapcode National: GBR DT.YRM

Mapcode Global: VHGQL.HTGW

Entry Name: St Josephs Retreat

Listing Date: 20 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207495

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369011

Location: Islington, London, N19

County: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Junction

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St John the Evangelist, Upper Holloway

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Highgate

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ2887SE HIGHGATE HILL
635-1/5/500 (East side)
20/09/54 St Joseph's Retreat

GV II

Built as the chief clergy house of the Passionist Fathers. The
south and west wings of 1874-5, the east wing of a little
later. By F.W.Tasker. White or grey and yellow brick set in
English bond, roof of Italian pantiles. Three and four storeys
over basement, eleven-window range to south. Modelled after an
Italian country villa with towers to the outer bays on the
principal, south side, and built to enclose the east end of
the original Passionist church. On the south side, the ground
floor has segmental-arched windows to centre, deeply recessed
under segmental arches of gauged brick; one round-arched
window at either end; first-floor windows flat-arched with a
central bay of three-window range to first and second floors
carried on thin columns with moulded stucco cornice above
first floor; second-floor windows flat-arched except outer
pair to tower bays, which are round-arched; two flat-arched
third-floor windows to towers; deep eaves to hipped roofs; the
return to Highgate Hill has a lower, apsidal wing running off
east and forming a choir for the commmunity; similar wing to
the west; single-storey range to Highgate Hill of 1960 by Alex
Watson: yellow brick with banded rustication to base,
flat-arched entrance under a round-arch, and parapet coped
with composition stone, shaped gable over entrance.
(Building News 11 Aug 1874, 1 Jan 1875, 19 June 1875.).


Listing NGR: TQ2889287162

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.