This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6469 / 51°38'48"N
Longitude: 0.263 / 0°15'46"E
OS Eastings: 556668
OS Northings: 196659
OS Grid: TQ566966
Mapcode National: GBR VX.YT1
Mapcode Global: VHHMW.HVXV
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 21 October 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207545
English Heritage Legacy ID: 373508
Location: Brentwood, Essex, CM14
Electoral Ward/Division: South Weald
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Bentley Common St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ59NE MORES LANE, Pilgrims Hatch
723-1/5/254 (West side)
21/10/58 Church of St Paul
Formerly known as: Church of St Paul Bentley Heath.
Church. 1878. By EC Lee. Split flint walls, buttressed with
stone dressings and corners, roofed with flat red tiles.
Essentially in Early English style. Nave with single S aisle
and porch at NW end, chancel with vestry to N and organ
chamber to S, tower rises over vestry.
EXTERIOR: principal, N elevation, E-W, chancel has 3 lancet
windows, tower square with projecting round stair tower on NE
corner and NW corner buttressed. Ground-floor window of 4
grouped lights with cusped heads in 2-centre arch, quatrefoil
light in tympanum. Upper louvred lancet belfry opening with
inner twin lancets and pierced tracery. Broach spire with
lucarnes, shingles. Nave 4 identical lancet windows each
having 2 inner lancets and upper pierced quatrefoils. String
course and lower quatrefoil pierced vents. Porch, lancet arch
on marble shafts with carved Early English style capitals and
gabled roof. Side lighting of 4 trefoiled lancets. Door,
2-leaved, boarded, ornamental iron strap hinges. S elevation,
E-W, chancel with 3 lancet windows and simple boarded door,
projecting organ chamber with gabled roof having a tall lancet
window and a quatrefoil window above. Boiler room below with
chimney. S aisle, 9 lancet windows above a string course and 4
quatrefoil pierced vents below. Parapet with pierced
quatrefoils. E end, chancel E window of 5 grouped lancets of
descending heights, above a niche with a figure of St Paul,
below, decorative walling with triple stone bands and central
foundation stone dated 1878. W end, 2 lancet windows with rose
window above, tracery - central circular `eye' with 6
radiating part circles. Small lancet window in gable. S aisle
wall with heavy outer buttress, trefoil headed doorway, door
boarded with strap hinges.
INTERIOR: nave and aisle of 5 bays, piers alternating, simple
octagonal and round with square capitals ornamented with
prophets and birds. Pulpit in alabaster with trefoiled niches
and figures of Christ and evangelists. Font, cylindrical on
cylindrical shaft and base, rim alabaster, moulded, 2
decorative bands of alternating leaves and birds in Arts and
Crafts style. Chancel E window framed by brown marble
colonnettes. Alabaster reredos with pinnacled and crocketed
canopy, Christ carrying the cross with Roman soldiers, Simon
and the 3 Maries.
The lych gate (qv) and the Church form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ5666896659
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings