This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4591 / 51°27'32"N
Longitude: -2.6113 / 2°36'40"W
OS Eastings: 357622
OS Northings: 173524
OS Grid: ST576735
Mapcode National: GBR C4H.FS
Mapcode Global: VH88M.PLB9
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Listing Date: 28 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1207682
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380503
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton Down
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton, St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5773NE ST PAUL'S ROAD, Clifton
901-1/3/1053 (North West side)
28/09/94 Church of St Paul
Church. 1853. By Manners and Gill. Aisles and nave rebuilt
1867 by CF Hansom.
MATERIALS: Pennant rubble with limestone dressings, exterior
stack and slate roof with decorative ridge tiles and 2
PLAN: aisled nave with W and SW porches, N side tower and
attached NW house. Originaly built as a hall church, the nave
was raised by Hansom and Decorated Gothic Revival-style
tracery largely replaced by Geometrical in the 2-centred
EXTERIOR: E end has a tall nave gable and flanking aisle
gables with angle buttresses, two 2-light windows beneath a
central round window to the nave, and 3-light aisle windows. A
deep porch has an ashlar gable with steps up to a doorway with
3 orders, granite columns with foliate capitals and a carved
scene of St Peter teaching, in the tympanum. Sliding doors
into the reveals and a double inner door. Flanking side
porches have pierced parapets and 2 side windows.
N aisle has 7 bays of 2-light windows separated by buttresses.
Similar S aisle; SW porch has an ashlar gable with paired,
arched doorways on paired granite columns, the right-hand one
blocked, set in a 2-centred arched recess, with a quatrefoil
in the tympanum and a finial.
The 3-stage tower has diagonal buttresses, a N doorway with
double doors and strap hinges and a hood with head stops, and
a SW octagonal stair turret to the first stage; small 1-light
window above and a string; cinqefoil second-stage window below
a weathered band, and 2-light belfry windows with Decorated
tracery and louvred panels. A corbel table to an ashlar
broached spire with 3 diminishing stages of spirelights.
2 storey; 4-window range house to the NW corner has a
double-pile roof and 3 cross gables with roll-top coping, the
right-hand ones paired. These have 3-light ground-floor
windows with trefoil heads and labels, and 2-light first-floor
2-centred arched windows with a central round light. Left-hand
gable has a 3-light ground-floor window with flat, cuspate
head, and a 3-light first-floor window with a shallow arch
with trefoil over; plain 2-light window between the left and
middle gables, and a blocked left-hand door with shouldered
lintel. External stack to the W gable.
The W end of the nave has a 3-light nave window, and 2-light
INTERIOR: 2-bay chancel with timber reredos, in 3 sections
with painted panels and flanking pointed-arched arcades; tall
chancel arch with triple attached shafts; 5-bay nave with
round sandstone shafts on square piers with water leaf,
foliate capitals and moulded arches; carved corbels to vault
shafts to a timber roof with arched trusses pierced by
trefoils, and 2 tiers of windbraces; timber aisle roofs with
pointed-arched trusses; W gallery.
Fittings include an octagonal pulpit with marble shafts, and a
similar octagonal stone font.
The original building was an unusual example of a hall church
with the aisles the height of the nave, perhaps suggested by
the Cathedral (qv), and with a spire modelled on Pugin's St
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 300).
Listing NGR: ST5762273524
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings