History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Railway Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Minehead, Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2067 / 51°12'24"N

Longitude: -3.4689 / 3°28'7"W

OS Eastings: 297483

OS Northings: 146304

OS Grid: SS974463

Mapcode National: GBR LJ.4C08

Mapcode Global: VH5JY.TXHT

Entry Name: Railway Station

Listing Date: 7 September 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1207950

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391242

Location: Minehead, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA24

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Minehead

Built-Up Area: Minehead

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Minehead

Listing Text


MINEHEAD

SS9646 THE ESPLANADE
900-1/3/84 (South side)
07/09/93 Railway Station

II

Railway station. 1872, extended c1897. Red sandstone rubble
with freestone dressings; continuous crested plain tile roof;
4 ridge stacks off-set below diagonal shafts, truncated except
one to inside left. Rectangular plan. Italianate Romanesque
style.
EXTERIOR: Single storey; 8-window range. Continuous chamfered
plinth. Semicircular arched openings with chamfered long/short
dressings and keystones. The first stage, to the right, was
symmetrical 4-window range; an almost full-height gabled porch
with 5 open trusses and tie bars, corbelled out over double
doors with a semicircular overlight is flanked by paired and
single windows. The windows are paired, separated by round
columns with cushion caps, with plate-glass sashes. 2
full-height openings to the c1897 block to the left have
segmental arches.
The booking office to the far left is of tongued-and-grooved
wood on a higher rubblestone plinth, articulated by panelled
pilasters with moulded capitals. The platform canopies and the
booking office have fretted wood fronts.
INTERIOR: noted as having original joinery and fireplaces.
HISTORY: The arrival of the railway to Minehead was the most
significant factor in its development as a resort. On 27 May
1872 the Minehead Railway Company accepted a tender for
building Minehead Station for ยป1,118.17s.6d from John Pearce.
In October 1882 the GWR converted the entire line from Taunton
to Minehead to narrow gauge in one weekend. On 1 July 1897 the
Minehead Railway amalgamated with the GWR.
(Clinker CR: The West Somerset Railway: The Exmoor Press:
1980-1986: 7).


Listing NGR: SS9748346304

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.