This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.4362 / 50°26'10"N
Longitude: -3.5701 / 3°34'12"W
OS Eastings: 288595
OS Northings: 60777
OS Grid: SX885607
Mapcode National: GBR QT.RSH9
Mapcode Global: FRA 37DW.YTF
Plus Code: 9C2RCCPH+FX
Entry Name: The Vicarage
Listing Date: 25 October 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1208129
English Heritage Legacy ID: 383845
Location: Torbay, TQ3
Electoral Ward/Division: Roundham-with-Hyde
Built-Up Area: Paignton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Paignton St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX8860 PALACE PLACE
1947-1/5/72 The Vicarage
Vicarage, now subdivided. Foundation stone laid 1910 (plaque),
architect unknown to date.
MATERIALS: Local red brecia rubble; slate roof laid in
diminishing courses; stacks with diagonally set stone shafts.
PLAN: The house is built within the precinct walls of the
Bishop's medieval palace. The site was re-acquired by the
church in 1909. Deep rectangular plan, the main block facing
east into the precinct, which is now part of the vicarage
garden, services to the rear.
EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys and attic Asymmetrical 2-window east
front with a steep peaked roof and central chimney shaft.
Recessed 1910 panelled door to right with a porch hood on
brackets. Timber casement windows with square leaded panes, 2
to the first floor and one to the ground floor plus a 5-light
transomed bow window to ground-floor left, also glazed with
square leaded panes. The left (south) return consists of a
4-bay block, then the buttressed gabled end of a wing, then
the return of the main block. Main block has a verandah with a
lean-to roof and round-headed archway with 2 half-glazed
garden doors into the house, one 2-light first-floor casement.
To the right the buttressed gabled end of a wing with a
5-light ground-floor bow window, reglazed without leaded
panes; 4-light first-floor window and 3-light attic dormer.
4-bay elevation to the left, the left-hand bay gabled with a
shallow projecting gabled porch with a 2-panel door with
mullioned overlight. One-light first-floor window above. The
rest of the front has 3 ground floor ovolo-moulded
stone-mullioned ground-floor windows; 3 transomed first-floor
windows, 2 casement 2nd-floor windows and a pair of original
attic dormers flanking a chimney shaft. The rear elevation has
similar windows and a projecting single-storey service wing
with a hipped roof; service entrance. The N side of the house
butts a tall crow-stepped wall.
INTERIOR: Partially inspected. Original stair with good timber
balustrade; original joinery includes doors with distinctive
vertical panels. A competent example of Edwardian domestic
architecture, having group value with the Palace precinct
walls and the parish church (qv), which lies to the north
Listing NGR: SX8859760779
Other nearby listed buildings