This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2056 / 51°12'20"N
Longitude: -4.1285 / 4°7'42"W
OS Eastings: 251406
OS Northings: 147305
OS Grid: SS514473
Mapcode National: GBR KM.4CY6
Mapcode Global: VH4M4.DY9P
Entry Name: Parish Church of Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 15 June 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1208207
English Heritage Legacy ID: 390171
Location: Ilfracombe, North Devon, Devon, EX34
District: North Devon
Civil Parish: Ilfracombe
Built-Up Area: Ilfracombe
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ilfracombe Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS5147 CHURCH ROAD
853-1/6/31 Parish Church of Holy Trinity
Anglican parish church. Transeptal tower and other masonry
C13; enlarged c1321 by order of Bishop Stapledon (lengthening
of the nave and addition of aisles); aisles widened C15; N
chancel aisle added C15; restoration by John Hayward, 1861-4.
Vestry, 1894 by Henry Wilson.
MATERIALS: mostly random rubble slate walls, some rendered;
limestone dressings; Welsh slate roof.
PLAN: nave with aisles of 4 bays; chancel of 4; N and S
chancel aisles; N transeptal tower (now partially internal due
to widening of N aisle); SE vestries.
EXTERIOR: windows entirely renewed by Hayward, mostly 4-light
in conventional Perpendicular style. One or two dressed
features survive from before this time including a small
blocked window set low at W end of S aisle. Sundial dated 1788
over porch doorway. Plaque dated 1864 commemorates rebuilding
of S wall.
Storeyed vestries set transeptally with polygonal stair
turret; 2-light window to each floor, that to 1st under
moulded pointed arch. The strangely detailed doorway arch, the
rainwater hopper and the weather vane on the small spire that
surmounts the turret are free Arts and Crafts in style (cf the
lych gate to S also by Wilson).
INTERIOR: fully described in Pevsner and Cherry. Special
attention may be drawn to the fine set of wagon roofs,
substantially renewed and adapted over the chancel by Fellowes
Prynne in 1899. Nave roof rests on stone corbels representing
mythical beasts that may be older than the timber roof. The
Victorian glass (all attributed in Pevsner and Cherry) form an
extremely interesting and varied collection.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Cherry B: Devon: 2nd
ed.: London: 1989-: 501).
Listing NGR: SS5140747304
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings