History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

National Westminster Bank

A Grade II* Listed Building in Crewkerne, Somerset

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8844 / 50°53'3"N

Longitude: -2.7961 / 2°47'46"W

OS Eastings: 344090

OS Northings: 109738

OS Grid: ST440097

Mapcode National: GBR MG.SMF7

Mapcode Global: FRA 561R.LJF

Entry Name: National Westminster Bank

Listing Date: 12 June 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1208423

English Heritage Legacy ID: 390387

Location: Crewkerne, South Somerset, Somerset, TA18

County: Somerset

District: South Somerset

Civil Parish: Crewkerne

Built-Up Area: Crewkerne

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Church of England Parish: Crewkerne

Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells

Find accommodation in
Crewkerne

Listing Text


CREWKERNE

ST4409 MARKET STREET
876-1/7/108 (West side)
12/06/50 No.2
National Westminster Bank

GV II*

Bank. 1838.
MATERIALS: Ham Hill stone ashlar with hipped slate roof and
rendered stacks to sides.
PLAN: double-depth plan.
EXTERIOR: Late Georgian style. 3 storeys; symmetrical 3-window
range, though a side entrance occupies the place of the
far-left ground-floor window. Platbands between floors;
rusticated quoins; banded rustication to the ground-floor,
with voussoirs to 6/6-pane round-arched windows reaching the
platband which bears the bank name. Steps up to the central
door, the round arch of which echoes the window arches. Above
this is a 6/6-pane sash set in a classical architrave with
Ionic pilasters resting on a cill with consoles, and
supporting a cornice and pediment: above this is a 3/6-pane
sash. To outer bays, on the first-floor, are 6/6-pane
tripartite sashes, with similar 3/6-pane ones above. A
substantial cornice, below a parapet, supports a balustrade
over the central bay, with a heraldic device bearing a lion
rampant. Both doors have iron gates.
INTERIOR not inspected.
HISTORY: notable as one of the first purpose-built banks in
the country; built for the Stuckey Banking Company, and a fine
example of its type.
(Bragg's Directory: 1840-; Victoria County History: Somerset:
Oxford: 1978-: P.9).


Listing NGR: ST4409209725

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.