History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Mary Redcliffe and Temple School and Attached Sheds

A Grade II Listed Building in Southville, City of Bristol

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4441 / 51°26'38"N

Longitude: -2.5917 / 2°35'30"W

OS Eastings: 358969

OS Northings: 171840

OS Grid: ST589718

Mapcode National: GBR C8P.S6

Mapcode Global: VH88N.1Y6W

Entry Name: St Mary Redcliffe and Temple School and Attached Sheds

Listing Date: 30 December 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1208813

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380610

Location: Bristol, BS3

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Southville

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: St Mary Redcliffe with Temple, Bristol and St John the Baptist, Bedminster

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST315871 STILLHOUSE LANE, Bedminster
901-1/45/388 (East side)
St Mary Redcliffe and Temple School
and attached sheds

II

Board school. 1895. By WV Gough. Pennant rubble with Pennant
and limestone dressings, brick gable stacks and tiled roof
with decorative ridges. Symmetrical T-shaped plan with a
central hall and flanking wings. Jacobethan style.
2 storeys; 5:1:5-window range. The central block is set back
between gabled wings, framed by tall square, ribbed ventilator
stacks set in the re-entrant angles, with ground- and
first-floor sill bands. The central block has 2 mullion and
transom ground-floor windows with elliptical-arched heads and
6 lights, a large full-width semicircular-arched first-floor
window with stone tracery, and a Dutch gable above topped by a
bellcote.
The wings have similar gables to the returns and above
semicircular-arched porte cochere to the ends, flat-headed
windows with ovolo mouldings, a 2-light first-floor window
over the portes cocheres, tall cross windows to the stairs
inside the end gables, and 3 mullion windows inside these, all
with sashes with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: dogleg stairs up to a first-floor hall in the middle
block, which has a barrel roof springing from scrolled
corbels. Some science rooms with original cupboards and work
tops.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: an open shed on cast-iron stanchions
extends from the right hand wing to a gable just inside the
playground wall with a blocked semicircular arch.
One of the best-composed of Bristol's Board Schools, in a
restrained and rational manner, remarkable in the context of
Gough's more famous work.
(Gough W V: Building Plans submitted to the Sanitary
Committee, BCC: 1895-).


Listing NGR: ST5922872090

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


BRISTOL

ST315871 STILLHOUSE LANE, Bedminster
901-1/45/388 (East side)
St Mary Redcliffe and Temple School
and attached sheds

II

Board school. 1895. By WV Gough. Pennant rubble with Pennant
and limestone dressings, brick gable stacks and tiled roof
with decorative ridges. Symmetrical T-shaped plan with a
central hall and flanking wings. Jacobethan style.
2 storeys; 5:1:5-window range. The central block is set back
between gabled wings, framed by tall square, ribbed ventilator
stacks set in the re-entrant angles, with ground- and
first-floor sill bands. The central block has 2 mullion and
transom ground-floor windows with elliptical-arched heads and
6 lights, a large full-width semicircular-arched first-floor
window with stone tracery, and a Dutch gable above topped by a
bellcote.
The wings have similar gables to the returns and above
semicircular-arched porte cochere to the ends, flat-headed
windows with ovolo mouldings, a 2-light first-floor window
over the portes cocheres, tall cross windows to the stairs
inside the end gables, and 3 mullion windows inside these, all
with sashes with glazing bars.
INTERIOR: dogleg stairs up to a first-floor hall in the middle
block, which has a barrel roof springing from scrolled
corbels. Some science rooms with original cupboards and work
tops.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: an open shed on cast-iron stanchions
extends from the right hand wing to a gable just inside the
playground wall with a blocked semicircular arch.
One of the best-composed of Bristol's Board Schools, in a
restrained and rational manner, remarkable in the context of
Gough's more famous work.
(Gough W V: Building Plans submitted to the Sanitary
Committee, BCC: 1895-).


Listing NGR: ST5922872090

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.