History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

47 and 48, St John's Square

A Grade II Listed Building in Clerkenwell, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5231 / 51°31'23"N

Longitude: -0.1037 / 0°6'13"W

OS Eastings: 531658

OS Northings: 182170

OS Grid: TQ316821

Mapcode National: GBR N8.W5

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.5Z18

Entry Name: 47 and 48, St John's Square

Listing Date: 20 March 1990

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1208835

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369308

Location: Islington, London, EC1V

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St James Clerkenwell

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Finsbury

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3182SE ST JOHN'S SQUARE
635-1/74/808 (North West side)
20/03/90 Nos.47 AND 48

GV II

Terraced houses with shops, now offices. C16 cellars; no 47 of
probably early C18 date and no 48 of late C18. Brick set in
Flemish bond, roof of slate. No 47 of three storeys, no 48 of
four, no 47 of three-window range, no 48 of two. No 47 has
late C19 shop front with dentil cornice and fascia stops to
ground floor; upper windows segmental-arched with sashes of
original design; stuccoed panel to parapet; right-hand return
of four-window range with similar fenestration and C20
shutters set within late C19 architraves with dentil cornice.
No 48 has early C20 shop front with glazing bars and panelled
door with overlight to ground floor; upper windows flat-arched
with heads of gauged red brick with sashes of original design
to first floor (6/6) and second floor (8/8); parapet much
rebuilt; stacks to party walls.
INTERIOR. Three rows of mid-C16 brick-built and
segmental-vaulted cellars beneath both houses, with Kentish
ragstone to foundations, traces of extensive tile floor and
two original connecting doorways, one with a four-centred
arched head of chamfered stone voussoirs. No 47 reported as
having panelling and original roof. The houses are situated
north of the former priory church of St John of Jerusalem, and
probably associated with one of the post-Dissolution (1540)
houses.
(Victoria County History: Middlesex, vol.1: PP.193-200).


Listing NGR: TQ3166682177

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.