History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dalton Hall with Attached Forecourt Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Rusholme, Manchester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4569 / 53°27'24"N

Longitude: -2.2181 / 2°13'5"W

OS Eastings: 385611

OS Northings: 395593

OS Grid: SJ856955

Mapcode National: GBR DQR.CS

Mapcode Global: WHB9N.WCXQ

Plus Code: 9C5VFQ4J+QP

Entry Name: Dalton Hall with Attached Forecourt Walls

Listing Date: 3 October 1974

Last Amended: 6 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1208904

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388029

Location: Manchester, M14

County: Manchester

Electoral Ward/Division: Rusholme

Built-Up Area: Manchester

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester

Church of England Parish: Victoria Park St Chrysostom

Church of England Diocese: Manchester

Find accommodation in
Heaton Chapel

Description


MANCHESTER

SJ8595 CONYNGHAM ROAD, Rusholme
698-1/22/789 (East side)
03/10/74 Dalton Hall with attached forecourt
walls
(Formerly Listed as:
CONYNGHAM ROAD, Rusholme
(East side)
Dalton Hall)

GV II

Hall of residence for members of the Society of Friends to
attend Manchester University. 1881-2 by G.T.Redmayne. Stock
brick wih red brick and sandstone dressings, some red
terracotta, slate roofs with red cockscomb ridging tiles. Long
range with rear wing towards south end. Three storeys with
basement and attics, asymmetrical, with a gabled wing at the
north end, a lower 3-window link with 3 gables, and a higher
9-window range with 4 gables, the first 2 linked and the 3rd,
which breaks forwards slightly, containing the main entrance.
High basement, moulded terracotta sill-bands to all floors,
stone gable copings. The entrance, up a flight of steps, has a
wide 2-centred arch moulded in 3 orders with a hoodmould, and
a richly ornamented triptych of terracotta panels above,
including the date 1881, and above this a 3-light
brick-mullioned window to each floor, the lower under a
segmental relieving arch and the upper in a 2-centred blank
arch. To the right of the entrance is a 3-stage transomed
stairwindow; otherwise, most other windows are of 3 and 4
lights with brick mullions and segmental relieving arches,
those at 1st and 2nd floors of the coupled gable portion set
in pilasterd giant blank arches. Attached to the entrance
steps are the splayed returned ends of the forecourt wall,
which has brick piers at short intervals, linked by twisted
iron bars.


Listing NGR: SJ8561195593

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.