History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

1-5, Main Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Heysham, Lancashire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.0476 / 54°2'51"N

Longitude: -2.9008 / 2°54'3"W

OS Eastings: 341114

OS Northings: 461665

OS Grid: SD411616

Mapcode National: GBR 8P5M.ST

Mapcode Global: WH845.DJWF

Entry Name: 1-5, Main Street

Listing Date: 29 December 1950

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1208933

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391826

Location: Lancaster, Lancashire, LA3

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

Electoral Ward/Division: Heysham Central

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Heysham

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Church of England Parish: Heysham St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Blackburn

Find accommodation in
Heysham

Listing Text

SD4161
939-1/7/16
29/12/50

MORECAMBE AND HEYSHAM

MAIN STREET, Heysham
(West side)
Nos.1-5 (Odd)

GV
II

Two houses. Built as Heysham Rectory in C17, extended in C18
and sub-divided into cottages in C19.
Sandstone rubble, whitewashed at the front, with slate roof.
Earliest part of house T-plan with rebated and chamfered
mullioned windows.
2 storeys. On the ground floor there is a single light fire
window and a 4-light window, under a drip mould which extends
over the doorway to the right. On the 1st floor there are 2
windows of 3 lights. The moulding of the door jambs extends to
form a stepped shape on the lintel, which is inscribed:
'1680'. The gables have stone copings at a pitch which
suggests that the roof was originally thatched. Built against
the left-hand gable is a stone chimney cap.
To the left are lower extensions. Adjoining the original
building is one bay which has windows with plain reveals and a
door to the right with similar reveals and a chamfered lintel.
To the left is a chimney.
Further left, in separate occupation and possibly the
conversion of a farm building, the facade is rendered and
blank except for one bay with small windows with plain
reveals, and a door to their left. The right-hand gable wall
contains a 2-light window on the 1st floor.
The gabled rear wing appears to be contemporary with the front
range and has 3-light windows to both the 1st floor and the
attic.
In the angle with the main house there is a 2-storey stair
projection with a blocked window above ground level and a
2-light window at a higher level. In front of and to the right
of the projecting wing are various lean-to additions.
Interior: main house altered, with removal of some partition
walls on ground floor. The present fireplace is of C18
shouldered type, but the 2 chamfered main beams now supported
by the chimneybreast are scarfed, suggesting that they were
originally supported on a firehood bressumer. The chamfer of
the front beam is inscribed: '1658 F?'.
The kitchen contains the remains of a stone spiral staircase,
the lower flight removed to allow the fitting of kitchen units
and the upper part blocked off. A Glebe Terrier in the
Lancashire Record Office (DRB 3/15) describes the rooms in the
house in 1778 and mentions a thatched barn 16yds long, a
shippon, a cart house, and a stable.

Listing NGR: SD4111461665

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

SD4161
939-1/7/16
29/12/50

MORECAMBE AND HEYSHAM

MAIN STREET, Heysham
(West side)
Nos.1-5 (Odd)

GV
II

Two houses. Built as Heysham Rectory in C17, extended in C18
and sub-divided into cottages in C19.
Sandstone rubble, whitewashed at the front, with slate roof.
Earliest part of house T-plan with rebated and chamfered
mullioned windows.
2 storeys. On the ground floor there is a single light fire
window and a 4-light window, under a drip mould which extends
over the doorway to the right. On the 1st floor there are 2
windows of 3 lights. The moulding of the door jambs extends to
form a stepped shape on the lintel, which is inscribed:
'1680'. The gables have stone copings at a pitch which
suggests that the roof was originally thatched. Built against
the left-hand gable is a stone chimney cap.
To the left are lower extensions. Adjoining the original
building is one bay which has windows with plain reveals and a
door to the right with similar reveals and a chamfered lintel.
To the left is a chimney.
Further left, in separate occupation and possibly the
conversion of a farm building, the facade is rendered and
blank except for one bay with small windows with plain
reveals, and a door to their left. The right-hand gable wall
contains a 2-light window on the 1st floor.
The gabled rear wing appears to be contemporary with the front
range and has 3-light windows to both the 1st floor and the
attic.
In the angle with the main house there is a 2-storey stair
projection with a blocked window above ground level and a
2-light window at a higher level. In front of and to the right
of the projecting wing are various lean-to additions.
Interior: main house altered, with removal of some partition
walls on ground floor. The present fireplace is of C18
shouldered type, but the 2 chamfered main beams now supported
by the chimneybreast are scarfed, suggesting that they were
originally supported on a firehood bressumer. The chamfer of
the front beam is inscribed: '1658 F?'.
The kitchen contains the remains of a stone spiral staircase,
the lower flight removed to allow the fitting of kitchen units
and the upper part blocked off. A Glebe Terrier in the
Lancashire Record Office (DRB 3/15) describes the rooms in the
house in 1778 and mentions a thatched barn 16yds long, a
shippon, a cart house, and a stable.

Listing NGR: SD4111461665

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.