This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4528 / 51°27'10"N
Longitude: -2.6244 / 2°37'27"W
OS Eastings: 356709
OS Northings: 172829
OS Grid: ST567728
Mapcode National: GBR C1L.H2
Mapcode Global: VH88M.GRF5
Entry Name: Number 16 (Part)
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209543
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380208
Location: Bristol, BS8
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5672NE PRINCE'S BUILDINGS, Clifton
901-1/13/929 (South West side)
08/01/59 Nos.1-10 (Consecutive)
Includes: No.16 (PART) THE PARAGON Clifton.
Terrace of 5 attached pairs. c1796. By William Paty. Rendered
with limestone dressings, brick party wall and lateral stacks,
and pantile and slate mansard roofs. Double-depth plan. Late
Each of 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range.
Originally paired 3-storey houses with outer doorways, linked
by single-storey blocks, articulated by pilaster strips with a
plat band, cornice and parapet; Nos 7 & 8 formed the
centrepiece with a pediment across the party wall and a relief
of the Black Prince and Prince of Wales' feathers.
Doorcases have pilaster strips set forward to a cornice,
semicircular-arched doorway with a fanlight, and 6-panel door,
the top pair glazed. No.1 has a single-storey ashlar porch
with a cornice, and the left-hand block is part of No.16 The
Paragon (qv). 6/6-pane sashes, 3/3-panes to the second floor,
single 8/8-pane basement sash, and single dormers with paired
2/2-pane sashes; No.1 has a shallow 2-storey bow with triple
6/6-pane sashes and fluted architraves, and slate to the lower
section of the roof. No.3 has triple horned ground-floor
windows to the side block. No.4 has a second storey added to
the right-hand block, with a raking parapet, and an oculus to
the second floor. No.5 has a second floor to the side block as
No.4, and plate-glass sashes.
No.6 has a single-storey banded porch with a moulded coping,
recessed doorway with a rectangular fanlight of 3 circles and
8-panel door with roundels; right-hand block extended to the
full height. Nos 7 & 8 have full-height side blocks; No.8 has
an 1830 Grecian single-storey porch with paired pilasters,
cornice and raised central panel with fan reliefs, rectangular
overlight with batswing fanlight, and 8-panel door with
roundels. Nos 9 & 10 have full-height side blocks, the inner
pilaster removed from No.10, both with porches as No.8 and
2-leaf doors with single panels.
INTERIOR: entrance halls with dogleg stairs to the front with
stick balusters, ramped rail and curtail, stone fire
surrounds, 6-panel doors and panelled shutters.
Designed as a terrace of 7 pairs and known as Prince of Wales'
Crescent. Although the link blocks have been altered, this
terrace is a significant example of the so-called
"quasi-semi-detached" form of terrace, first appearing on the
1794 map of the Eyre estate in St John's Wood, London: it
achieved greater popularity in the Regency period, as at
Lansdown Place in Cheltenham.
Nos 3, 4 & 5 were listed on 4.3.77.
(Ison W: The Georgian Buildings of Bristol: Bath: 1952-: 224;
Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 224).
Listing NGR: ST5670972829
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings