History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Dalton-in-Furness, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.1549 / 54°9'17"N

Longitude: -3.187 / 3°11'13"W

OS Eastings: 322580

OS Northings: 473886

OS Grid: SD225738

Mapcode National: GBR 6N5D.TB

Mapcode Global: WH72B.0TPM

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 25 February 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1209758

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388429

Location: Dalton Town with Newton, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA15

County: Cumbria

District: Barrow-in-Furness

Civil Parish: Dalton Town with Newton

Built-Up Area: Dalton-in-Furness

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Dalton-in-Furness St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Dalton in Furness

Listing Text


BARROW IN FURNESS

SD2273 CHURCH STREET, Dalton In Furness
708-1/11/166 (South side)
25/02/50 Church of St Mary

GV II*

Church on site of earlier church. 1882-5. By Paley and Austin.
Snecked red sandstone with ashlar dressings, graduated green
slate roof.
6-bay nave with separately-roofed aisles; 3-stage tower over
west end of nave, porches to north and south; 2-bay chancel
with north vestry and south chapel. Gothic Revival style with
Decorated tracery.
Chamfered plinth; iron gutter brackets; chequerwork to
parapets, over the porches and over east and west windows;
roll-moulded copings to the gables and parapets. South aisle:
offset buttresses to east end and between 2 pairs of 4-light
windows having differing tracery, pointed arches and
hoodmoulds. South porch (now opening into church centre of
1980) is hexagonal and vaulted: buttresses at each angle;
moulded inner doorway with ballflowers; parapet.
North aisle is longer having an extra bay to east with organ
chamber lit by lozenge windows; adjacent 3-light aisle window
(reused from earlier church) has taller, yellow sandstone
surround and hoodmould with head-carved stops. Stack to east
gable of aisle. North porch is 3-sided with enriched arch,
buttresses and ashlar roof. Nave west window, in base of
tower, is of 3-lights with stepped transom; chequer panel and
traceried, square window above.
Tower: setback buttresses flank louvred, 3-light belfry
openings with pointed arches and hoodmoulds set within
flushwork panels; string course beneath embattled parapet;
octagonal vice to south-west corner rises higher.
Chancel is under same roofline as nave: offset buttresses
flank 6-light east window having 2 King mullions linked by
transom, ogee-headed lights, cusped hexafoil and hoodmould.
Gable has slit and apex cross. South chapel: small,
semi-octagonal projection between 2 pairs of 2-light windows
(reused from earlier church and of yellow sandstone); 2-light
window to east; parapet to lean-to roof; square, quatrefoiled
windows to the chancel. North vestry: ogee-headed door under
round arch; traceried cross-window; 2-light east window.
INTERIOR: western bay of nave, beneath tower, has arches to 3
sides springing from polygonal-based piers; half arches to the
aisles. 5-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals,
double-chamfered arches and linked hoodmoulds. Broad, moulded
chancel arch against which are a flying buttress across east
end of north aisle and a pointed arch to the organ chamber. 2
arches into south chapel. Sedilia; carved reredos with
alabaster insets. Nave and chancel have a barrel ceiling with
bow-string trusses; those to the chancel with tracery and
ogee-headed openings. C14 font beneath tower with crozier on
shield and 7 pairs of shields on the other sides. c1885
semi-octagonal wooden pulpit on base corbelled from
chancel-arch pier (gift of Edward Wadham of Millwood).
Stained glass: C15 fragments in north porch. Mid-late C19
glass includes: north-aisle window, the gift of Henry
Schneider in memory of his wife Augusta (d.1862); east window
given by the Duke of Devonshire in memory of his son Lord
Frederick Cavendish; 2 windows in south aisle by Shrigley and
Hunt of Lancaster; Baldwin memorial windows in south chapel,
c1870.
Monuments: various C19 wall monuments at west end of aisles.
In south chapel are several to the Baldwin and Atkinson
families: to Eliz. Baldwin d.1848 by W Audby of York; to Wm
Atkinson d.1821 by Webster of Kendal.
Paley and Austin built this, 'one of their most spectacular
churches' (Pevsner), on the impressive site of the former
parish church, cleared away in 1883. The cost of ยป11,553
defrayed by the Duke of Devonshire, the Duke of Buccleuch and
others. The new church re-established the importance of Dalton
following the formation of the Borough of Barrow in Furness
with its many new places of worship.
(Dent E: The Parish Church: Dalton in Furness, A History:
1985-; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Lancashire:
London: 1969-: 111-112; Walton J E: Dalton in Furness in Old
Picture Postcards: Netherlands: 1983-: 36-39).


Listing NGR: SD2258073886

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.