This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5272 / 51°31'37"N
Longitude: -0.1135 / 0°6'48"W
OS Eastings: 530960
OS Northings: 182607
OS Grid: TQ309826
Mapcode National: GBR L6.NQ
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.ZWB3
Entry Name: Number 24-33 (Consecutive) and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 29 September 1972
Last Amended: 30 September 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209870
English Heritage Legacy ID: 368922
Location: Islington, London, WC1X
Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell
Built-Up Area: Islington
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Clerkenwell Holy Redeemer
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3082NE GRANVILLE SQUARE
635-1/67/420 (South West side)
29/09/72 Nos.24-33 (Consecutive)
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
10 terraced houses. In Square planned 1828 by John Booth and
his son, also John, Surveyors for the Lloyd Baker Estate.
Built 1841-1843 by William Joseph Booth, another son,
architect; nos. 27-38B built 1864 by Metropolitan Railway;
buildings essentially dismantled and reconstucted c1980 by
Islington Council and converted to flats. Yellow stock brick
set in Flemish bond with banded stucco ground-floor to nos.
24-26, stucco lined as ashlar to nos. 27-33 and stucco
dressings; roofs obscured. Side-hall entrance plan; no. 24
with stucco portico side entrance in left-hand return wall in
Granville Street. Three storeys with basement; 2 windows each.
Symmetrical composition: houses in groups of six; centre and
end houses break forward. Steps rise to entrance: doorway with
panelled pilaster jambs carrying corniced-head, patterned or
plain rectangular overlight and original panelled door to nos.
24, 29-33; others with C20 panelled door. Doors to nos. 29-32
paired and share common console-bracket. 6/6 and 8/8 sashes to
nos. 24-26: ground-floor with margin lights; upper floors
architraved and 1st floor full-length sashes with cornices and
individual balconies with cast-iron railings. Tripartite
pilastered ground-floor sashes with keystones to nos. 27-33
and cast-iron window guards to nos. 29-32; predominantly 2/2
sashes to upper floors of 27-33, some with iron window guards
and sill brackets. Plain stucco band beneath cornice and
blocking course to nos. 24-26; nos. 27-33 with brick string
course and plain brick parapet, some with iron tie rods. Plain
brick right return (no. 33) forms side wall to 'Riceyman
Steps' (q.v.). Attached cast-iron railings with tasselled
spearhead finials. Granville Square was the final portion of
the Lloyd Baker Estate to be built; formerly it had functioned
as a rubbish tip by builders of nearby streets. Originally it
was called Sharp Square in honour of Thomas Lloyd Baker's
wife, niece to William Granville Sharp, Esq, of Fulham. St.
Philip's church was built first, in the centre of the Square,
by Edward Buckton Lamb, architect, in 1831-1833 but it was
demolished in 1938. Granville Square is the only street in the
Lloyd Baker Estate that was built in a conventional terrrace
style and is notably squeezed into a restricted space between
Wharton and Lloyd Baker Streets. Entrances to Square at north
and south via Granville Street and from west connected to
King's Cross Road by a flight of granite steps known variously
as "Plum Pudding Steps" or "Riceyman Steps".
(The Squares of Islington: Cosh, M: The Squares of Islington
Part I: Finsbury and Clerkenwell: Islington: 1990-: 47-51).
Listing NGR: TQ3096082607
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings