History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Corn Exchange

A Grade II Listed Building in Lichfield, Staffordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6836 / 52°41'1"N

Longitude: -1.8269 / 1°49'36"W

OS Eastings: 411798

OS Northings: 309563

OS Grid: SK117095

Mapcode National: GBR 4DN.LYD

Mapcode Global: WHCGN.XT70

Entry Name: The Corn Exchange

Listing Date: 6 March 1970

Last Amended: 17 June 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1209913

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382627

Location: Lichfield, Lichfield, Staffordshire, WS13

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield

Civil Parish: Lichfield

Built-Up Area: Lichfield

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Lichfield St Michael and St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in
Lichfield

Listing Text


LICHFIELD

SK1109NE CONDUIT STREET
1094-1/5/74 (South West side)
06/03/70 The Corn Exchange
(Formerly Listed as:
CONDUIT STREET
Corn Hall (Market Hall and
Institute))

GV II

Includes: No.55 BORE STREET.
Corn exchange, market hall and savings bank, now shops,
restaurant and office. 1849-50. By T Johnson and Son. Brick
with ashlar dressings; fishscale tile roof with brick stacks.
Tudor style.
2 storeys; 7-window range, with recessed 2-window range to
left. 7-bay arcade with 4-centre arches with keys; 1st floor
sill course; top stone-coped parapet with round projections,
left end shaped gable, right end has octagonal pavilion with
parapet with shaped gablets and round pinnacles and pyramidal
roof.
Arcade has brick groin vault with transverse arches, inner
4-centred arched openings with late C20 shop fronts, entrance
to left end. 1st floor has double-chamfered-mullioned windows
with leaded glazing, most of 2 lights, that to left end of 3
lights with round-headed upper light, penultimate window to
right of 4 lights with transom and 2 round-headed upper
lights, octagon has windows of 2 round-headed lights to angled
faces. Square panels with raised black letters: THE CORN
EXCHANGE. Recessed range has window originally of 3 lights,
mid C20 shop front to corner; 1st floor has canted oriel of
1:3:1 lights with round-headed lights, 3-light window to left,
all ovolo-mullioned; dated 1849; shaped gable and cross-axial
stack.
Right return has similar details and C20 single-storey
addition; lettering: MARKET HALL. Left return has shop front
with entrance to left with 4-centred head with cornice,
overlight and glazed door; 1st floor has single light and
3-light window; lettering: SAVINGS BANK; parapet and C20
dormer.
INTERIOR: jack arches to shops; hammer beam roof to 1st floor
hall.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.195; Howard Clayton: Cathedral City: Lichfield:
1977-: P.71-2).


Listing NGR: SK1179809563

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.