This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.5457 / 53°32'44"N
Longitude: -2.0954 / 2°5'43"W
OS Eastings: 393776
OS Northings: 405459
OS Grid: SD937054
Mapcode National: GBR FWTF.4P
Mapcode Global: WHB9B.S4DL
Plus Code: 9C5VGWW3+7R
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 8 March 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1209984
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388875
Location: Oldham, OL1
Electoral Ward/Division: St James'
Built-Up Area: Oldham
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Oldham St James with St Ambrose
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD90NW BARRY STREET
780-1/1/14 (West side)
Church of St James
Parish church. 1835. By Francis Goodwin; chancel added 1883 by
John Lowe of Manchester. Ashlar faced with Welsh slate roof.
West tower, nave with integral aisles, and shallow canted
apse. Partially projecting west tower with wide western
entrance in deep moulded archway. 2-light window over doorway.
Gabletted clasping buttresses. Parapet over second stage with
integral surround for clock (the clock itself now removed) and
high pinnacles at angles.
Flying buttresses to octagonal lantern of bell chamber.
Vestries added north and south of tower. South doorway giving
access to inner staircase lobby. Aisles of 6 bays divided by
buttresses, each with 2-light Decorated traceried window with
cast-iron tracery. Shallow canted apsidal chancel with 2-light
INTERIOR: nave arcade of 4 bays formerly 5, the eastern bay
now forming part of the chancel. Western bay beneath gallery
now separated by glazed screen. Chamfered piers carry moulded
arches with foliate capitals. Galleries on 3 sides, carried
across west by two rows of cast-iron columns. Plain ribbed
panelled ceiling, the principal timbers carried from corbels.
Chancel screen and rood loft, 1920 as war memorial. Central
ogee arch surmounted by crucifix, canopy enriched with
vine-scroll decoration. Flanking wall panels with inscriptions
beneath statues of Saints Michael and George.
Apsidal chancel with plain panelled ceiling. Blind traceried
wall panelling includes sedilia and canopy over reredos.
Stained glass: east window, undated unsigned memorial window,
probably circa 1880-90 in the style of Kempe. Small panels in
south chancel chapel representing Saints George and Joan of
Arc, with architectural drawings as backcloth. Various windows
in south and north aisles, 1920's, one signed Shrigley and
Various marble wall tablets, including an ornate memorial with
high relief figures in traceried niches to the Rev. Robert
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner, Nikolaus: South
Lancashire: Harmondsworth: 1969-).
Listing NGR: SD9377605459
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 29 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings