History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pant

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnard Castle, County Durham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.545 / 54°32'42"N

Longitude: -1.9241 / 1°55'26"W

OS Eastings: 405009

OS Northings: 516644

OS Grid: NZ050166

Mapcode National: GBR HH0W.7H

Mapcode Global: WHB4L.F101

Entry Name: Pant

Listing Date: 22 February 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1210046

English Heritage Legacy ID: 388697

Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12

County: County Durham

Civil Parish: Barnard Castle

Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham

Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Barnard Castle

Listing Text


BARNARD CASTLE

NZ0516NW GALGATE
770-1/4/68 (South side)
22/02/73 Pant

GV II

Pant or drinking fountain. Dated 1874. Sandstone with pink
sandstone nook-shafts. Gothic Revival style. Square plan.
Moulded plinth with broken drinking troughs projecting from
north and south supports 4 pointed arches with wide stop to
double chamfers. Within arches, a square base formerly to
drinking fountain has moulded side panels. Nook-shafts between
arches have stiff-leaf capitals. High gables over arches have
nailhead moulding and foliage stops, and rise to central
square base, possibly for lamp. Date 1874 inscribed in south
gable. L.B.C. June 1991 for rebuilding and restoration by
District Council.


Listing NGR: NZ0500916644

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description


BARNARD CASTLE

NZ0516NW GALGATE
770-1/4/68 (South side)
22/02/73 Pant

GV II

Pant or drinking fountain. Dated 1874. Sandstone with pink
sandstone nook-shafts. Gothic Revival style. Square plan.
Moulded plinth with broken drinking troughs projecting from
north and south supports 4 pointed arches with wide stop to
double chamfers. Within arches, a square base formerly to
drinking fountain has moulded side panels. Nook-shafts between
arches have stiff-leaf capitals. High gables over arches have
nailhead moulding and foliage stops, and rise to central
square base, possibly for lamp. Date 1874 inscribed in south
gable. L.B.C. June 1991 for rebuilding and restoration by
District Council.


Listing NGR: NZ0500916644

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.