This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8776 / 51°52'39"N
Longitude: 0.085 / 0°5'5"E
OS Eastings: 543618
OS Northings: 221947
OS Grid: TL436219
Mapcode National: GBR LC9.B91
Mapcode Global: VHHLT.F29G
Entry Name: Ford House
Listing Date: 30 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1210197
English Heritage Legacy ID: 394872
Location: Little Hadham, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Little Hadham
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Hadham
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 4321 LITTLE HADHAM THE FORD
9/13 Ford House
(Formerly Ford Cottage)
House. Probable C17 origin: heightened, extended and made into
2 houses in late C18 or C19, now 1 house. 2 storeys, red brick,
square plan, facing S behind a high wall. Parallel steep red
tiled roofs with pierced and cusped bargeboards to twin gables at
S. Symmetrical, single storey, lean-to side extensions with fish
scale slate roofs and battlemented brick screen with segmental
arched doorway to front, W doorway blocked. 2 tall cruciform
brick chimneys rising from central valley. Mirrored semi-
detached house plans with large S room, narrow rear kitchen at N
and stair lobby between. Rear entrance in side extension.
Bisymmetrical front with 1 window to each floor of each house.
2-light upper window has square head and projecting brick label.
Canted bay window with 1-3-1 lights timber casement and rounded
hipped tiled roof. Flush panelled half-glazed door on right with
glazing bars. The main walls of the house are in older English-
bond brickwork up to the level of the 1st floor. The upper walls
and recessed side extensions are in later Flemish bond brickwork,
and the bay windows are also later additions. The interiors are
simple and little changed. The rear wall has 1 window on each
floor in each house. Segmental arches and 3-light wooden
casements on Ground floor. 3-light C18 windows with iron
casement (reused ?) on upper floor, under square heads and brick
labels. The older red brick lower storey may have been the Red
House at Hadham Ford occupied by Nicholas Segar 1792-3 before
moving to Little Hadham Place (Minet (1914)).
Listing NGR: TL4361821947
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings