History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Council House, City Museum and Art Gallery and Council House extension

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ladywood, Birmingham

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.4801 / 52°28'48"N

Longitude: -1.9029 / 1°54'10"W

OS Eastings: 406693

OS Northings: 286917

OS Grid: SP066869

Mapcode National: GBR 5Z8.RT

Mapcode Global: VH9YW.YXWL

Entry Name: Council House, City Museum and Art Gallery and Council House extension

Listing Date: 25 April 1952

Last Amended: 8 July 1982

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1210333

English Heritage Legacy ID: 217695

Location: Birmingham, B3

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Philip Birmingham

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in
Birmingham

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 04/06/2018

SP 0687 SE 29/1
SP 0686 NE 33/38

City Centre B3
VICTORIA SQUARE
Council House, City Museum and Art Gallery and Council House extension

(Formerly listed as Art Gallery under Chamberlain Place and The Extension of the Council House and Art Gallery under Congreve Street)

25.4.52

II*
1874-9 by H R Yeoville Thomason. Stone; tile roof. Three storeys plus basement; three bay centrepiece plus eight bay wings whose outer bays are advanced and carry segmental pediments. The centre piece with a wide and deep porte-cochere carrying a balcony behind which a central arch with mosaic tympanum by Salviati flanked by Corinthian piers and columns carrying a pediment with carved relief. Behind this, a dome on a high drum. Either side windows with shoulders and the first and second floors articulated by giant Corinthian pilasters.

Inside, a grand staircase beneath the dome leads up to a suite of three reception rooms on the first floor with Corinthian pilasters and coffered ceilings. The Council Room is small and semi-circular. On the left hand return, the entrance to the City Museum and Art Gallery which occupies part of the same site. 1881-5 and also by Yeoville Thomason. In general design and decoration the building follows the Council House. The entrance up steps within a two storeyed portico with sculptured pediment. To its left 'Big Brum', a tall clock tower with tiled roof. At the head of the main staircase of the museum, a fresco, Corporation Street in March 1914, by Joseph Southall 1915-6. Joined to the main building by a bridge on a broad segmental arch over Chamberlain Square and bounded by Great Charles Street, Queensway B3, Congreve Passage B3, Chamberlain Square B3 and Margaret Street B3 is the Council House extension housing also the Feeney Art Galleries of the City Museum and Art Gallery. 1911-19 by Ashley and Newman. Stone. Two storeys plus basement and attic. In an Edwardian Renaissance rather than Baroque style with banded rustication to the ground floor and a giant order in the upper floors.

HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1913 suffragettes from the militant suffrage organisation the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU) launched a spate of attacks on art galleries and museums in Britain. Most took place between March and July 1914, with the majority in London, and a small number of others elsewhere. The attack at Birmingham Art Gallery on 9 June 1914 was carried out by Bertha Ryland, a 28 year old suffragette who had two earlier arrests for militant activities. Ryland used a butcher’s cleaver hidden in her blouse to hack at ‘Master Thornhill’, a painting by George Romney, causing £50 worth of damage. She was arrested at the scene and identified from a note she left giving her name and address and protesting against the differential treatment of suffragette prisoners and Irish militants.

This list entry was amended in 2018 as part of the centenary commemorations of the 1918 Representation of the People Act.


Listing NGR: SP0669386917

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 04/06/2018

SP 0687 SE 29/1
SP 0686 NE 33/38

City Centre B3
VICTORIA SQUARE
Council House, City Museum and Art Gallery and Council House extension

(Formerly listed as Art Gallery under Chamberlain Place and The Extension of the Council House and Art Gallery under Congreve Street)

25.4.52

II*
1874-9 by H R Yeoville Thomason. Stone; tile roof. Three storeys plus basement; three bay centrepiece plus eight bay wings whose outer bays are advanced and carry segmental pediments. The centre piece with a wide and deep porte-cochere carrying a balcony behind which a central arch with mosaic tympanum by Salviati flanked by Corinthian piers and columns carrying a pediment with carved relief. Behind this, a dome on a high drum. Either side windows with shoulders and the first and second floors articulated by giant Corinthian pilasters.

Inside, a grand staircase beneath the dome leads up to a suite of three reception rooms on the first floor with Corinthian pilasters and coffered ceilings. The Council Room is small and semi-circular. On the left hand return, the entrance to the City Museum and Art Gallery which occupies part of the same site. 1881-5 and also by Yeoville Thomason. In general design and decoration the building follows the Council House. The entrance up steps within a two storeyed portico with sculptured pediment. To its left 'Big Brum', a tall clock tower with tiled roof. At the head of the main staircase of the museum, a fresco, Corporation Street in March 1914, by Joseph Southall 1915-6. Joined to the main building by a bridge on a broad segmental arch over Chamberlain Square and bounded by Great Charles Street, Queensway B3, Congreve Passage B3, Chamberlain Square B3 and Margaret Street B3 is the Council House extension housing also the Feeney Art Galleries of the City Museum and Art Gallery. 1911-19 by Ashley and Newman. Stone. Two storeys plus basement and attic. In an Edwardian Renaissance rather than Baroque style with banded rustication to the ground floor and a giant order in the upper floors.

HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1913 suffragettes from the militant suffrage organisation the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU) launched a spate of attacks on art galleries and museums in Britain. Most took place between March and July 1914, with the majority in London, and a small number of others elsewhere. The attack at Birmingham Art Gallery on 9 June 1914 was carried out by Bertha Ryland, a 28 year old suffragette who had two earlier arrests for militant activities. Ryland used a butcher’s cleaver hidden in her blouse to hack at ‘Master Thornhill’, a painting by George Romney, causing £50 worth of damage. She was arrested at the scene and identified from a note she left giving her name and address and protesting against the differential treatment of suffragette prisoners and Irish militants.

This list entry was amended in 2018 as part of the centenary commemorations of the 1918 Representation of the People Act.


Listing NGR: SP0669386917

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.