History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Town Hall and Municipal Buildings

A Grade II Listed Building in Newbury, West Berkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4012 / 51°24'4"N

Longitude: -1.3237 / 1°19'25"W

OS Eastings: 447142

OS Northings: 167119

OS Grid: SU471671

Mapcode National: GBR 81Z.24X

Mapcode Global: VHCZK.01KP

Entry Name: Town Hall and Municipal Buildings

Listing Date: 14 May 1982

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1210586

English Heritage Legacy ID: 395180

Location: Newbury, West Berkshire, RG14

County: West Berkshire

Civil Parish: Newbury

Built-Up Area: Newbury

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Newbury St Nicolas

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Newbury

Listing Text

1. MARKET PLACE
5127
Town Hall and
Municipal Buildings
SU 4767 SW 6/120 14.5.82

II GV


2.
Circa 1878-81 town hall by James M Money in the Gothic style (after Waterhouse).
1908 municipal buildings at rear in similar style (replacing the old Mansion House)
Facade to Market Place with central, 2-storey range with 3 gabled bays; 3 storey
tower at south end; tall, 4 stage clock-tower at north-west corner above the main
entrance. Steep tiled roofs; pyramidal roof to towers with finials and gabled
lucarnes to clock tower. Polychrome red and blue brickwork with coped gables and
machicolated eaves cornices to towers. Strings at floor, sill and impost levels.
Traceried, 2-light, arched windows to 1st floor council chamber with gables over.
Clock tower with tall lancet windows, with traceried 1st floor window and balcony
over entrance. Arched doorways.
(Newbury Buildings Past and Present (1973) 44).


Listing NGR: SU4714267119

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Description

1. MARKET PLACE
5127
Town Hall and
Municipal Buildings
SU 4767 SW 6/120 14.5.82

II GV


2.
Circa 1878-81 town hall by James M Money in the Gothic style (after Waterhouse).
1908 municipal buildings at rear in similar style (replacing the old Mansion House)
Facade to Market Place with central, 2-storey range with 3 gabled bays; 3 storey
tower at south end; tall, 4 stage clock-tower at north-west corner above the main
entrance. Steep tiled roofs; pyramidal roof to towers with finials and gabled
lucarnes to clock tower. Polychrome red and blue brickwork with coped gables and
machicolated eaves cornices to towers. Strings at floor, sill and impost levels.
Traceried, 2-light, arched windows to 1st floor council chamber with gables over.
Clock tower with tall lancet windows, with traceried 1st floor window and balcony
over entrance. Arched doorways.
(Newbury Buildings Past and Present (1973) 44).


Listing NGR: SU4714267119

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.