History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Green Street Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Little Hadham, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8778 / 51°52'40"N

Longitude: 0.1116 / 0°6'41"E

OS Eastings: 545450

OS Northings: 222019

OS Grid: TL454220

Mapcode National: GBR LCB.C06

Mapcode Global: VHHLT.W2CB

Entry Name: Green Street Cottage

Listing Date: 22 February 1967

Last Amended: 30 April 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1210822

English Heritage Legacy ID: 395338

Location: Little Hadham, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Little Hadham

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Little Hadham

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Bishops Stortford

Listing Text

TL 4522 LITTLE HADHAM GREEN STREET
(south side)

11/17 Green Street Cottage
(formerly listed as
22.2.67 Cottage block E of
Green Street Farm)

GV II

House. Later medieval, altered and E end rebuilt in early C17.
One and a half storeys and single storey timberframed, plastered,
facing N with half-hipped thatch roof dropping with 2 steps from
E to W. Formerly an open hall house, with 2 storeys cross wing
on W possibly jettied on N front. E part rebuilt as one and a
half storeyed parlour block in early C17. Chimney built in
cross passage, floor inserted in hall, and upper storey of W
cross wing destroyed in mid C17. Lozenge-shaped date panel on N
wall of E wing 'SIE 1660' is of similar design to that on The Old
Farmhouse to W and probably marks a change of ownership. Present
lobby entry 3-unit plan dates from C17 but upper part of central
chimney has been rebuilt and a former oven projecting on S of it
destroyed above ground. N front has small C19 casement windows
and a plank door. Cut back joist-ends with plates above and
below mark the former jettied (?) W cross wing. A step down in
the ridge marks the line of this wing. The interior has close-
studded walls and partitions exposed with much original wattle
and daub. Stop chamfered axial beam and squared joists in the
hall (middle room). Parlour at E end has bar stopped chamfered
cross beam and squared joists. A band of wall painting in
grisaile, a running scroll on white ground, runs along beam and
round all 4 walls of parlour just below joists, and 1 full panel
of circle-and-trellis interlace survives on E wall (dated to
1600-1625 by E Clive Rouse (RCHM Typescript)). 2 smoke-blackened
couples in roof-space on W of chimney show it had a collar-rafter
single-framed roof. Heavy jowled mid-posts of former 2-bay W
cross wing survive in roof. To c.1960 called Walnut Tree
Cottage. Said to be formerly the horse keeper's house for Green
Street Farm. Late medieval house showing clearly its adaptation
to a 3-unit lobby entry plan.


Listing NGR: TL4545022019

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.