This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4932 / 51°29'35"N
Longitude: 0.0693 / 0°4'9"E
OS Eastings: 543751
OS Northings: 179169
OS Grid: TQ437791
Mapcode National: GBR NJ.Q4Q
Mapcode Global: VHHNK.5Q0P
Entry Name: Royal Arsenal Royal Laboratory East Pavilion
Listing Date: 8 June 1973
Last Amended: 9 July 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1211082
English Heritage Legacy ID: 200491
Location: Greenwich, London, SE18
Electoral Ward/Division: Woolwich Riverside
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Woolwich St Mary Magdalene with St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 4479 PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18
Royal Laboratory E Pavilion
Gunpowder factory, disused. Part of the Royal Laboratory of 1694-96, extended and altered 1855, partly demolished 1950s. Brick with stone dressings, roof not visible. Single-depth plan. 2 storeys; 5-window range. A symmetrical front has projecting centre with rusticated voussoirs, plinth plat band and coping. Doorway with eared architrave and console cornice, with window above has an architrave with foliate brackets and lion-head key. Rubbed brick keyed flat arches to altered windows. INTERIOR not inspected: it may contain features of interest but is noted as having been remodelled internally in C20, with a central concrete dogleg stair.
HISTORY: The oldest part of the Arsenal, and possibly the oldest Ordnance buildings in the country: one of a pair of pavilions with that to the W (qv), which are the only surviving part of a larger building to which the Royal Laboratory for the manufacture of fireworks and gunpowder transferred when it moved from Greenwich in 1695. Originally with cross windows and a steep hipped roof, lower buildings each side, the courtyard between the two pavilions was closed to the N and S by walls with gateways, the lion and unicorn finials from which are now on the Board Room (qv). The yard was roofed over in 1855, and contained the largest milling machinery space in the world when it was completed.
Listing NGR: TQ4295478475
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings