This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8831 / 51°52'59"N
Longitude: 0.0805 / 0°4'49"E
OS Eastings: 543292
OS Northings: 222550
OS Grid: TL432225
Mapcode National: GBR LC3.WQM
Mapcode Global: VHHLM.BXXS
Entry Name: Little Hadham Place 350 Metres South of Road
Listing Date: 30 April 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1211097
English Heritage Legacy ID: 395671
Location: Little Hadham, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG11
District: East Hertfordshire
Civil Parish: Little Hadham
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Little Hadham
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 4322 LITTLE HADHAM STANDON ROAD
7/1 Little Hadham Place 350
metres S of road
House. C17, greatly enlarged in early and mid C19. A former
farmhouse called the Hull purchased by Nicholas Segar (died 1828)
and rebuilt as a private residence (Minet (1914): VCH (1914)
50). Rambling Z-plan, facing E,with a service courtyard on W.
The oldest part is an L-shaped timberframed house forming the S
side and half the W side of the house where its extent is marked
by a projecting plinth. 2 storeys with a hipped slate roof and
panelled and bracketed eaves soffit uniform with the rest of the
house. The walling has been replaced by brickwork at different
times. Flush box sash windows with 6/6 panes. Brickwork painted
white. Exposed timber frame inside shows 3 bays on W and 1 on
SE. Large central chimney in S part has back-to-back 4 centred
chamfered brick arched fireplaces of mid C17 and cellar stair
against its N face formerly continued up. Stop chamfered beam in
SE room. W range extended to N in early C19 and parallel range
built on E side to form double-pile house of 2 storeys. Red brick
walls with recessed sash windows now painted on W. Projecting 2
storeys higher wing of mid C19 at SE corner elaborately decorated
in stucco in manner of G E Pritchett. 4 windows with moulded
window surrounds. Raised quoins. Cornice on trusses to Ground
floor windows. Sash windows with 6/6 panes and louvred shutters
to 1st floor. Single storey rectangular bay on S end. Single
storey enclosed stucco porch with stilted arches and architraves
enriched with paterae. Triple sash windows on each floor to
recessed bay on right. E front of lower range stuccoed with
cornice and trusses to lower windows. Canted 1st floor oriel at N
end of E front. Elaborate plaster enrichment to C19 interiors.
Major part of group with outbuildings.
Listing NGR: TL4329222550
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings