This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4812 / 51°28'52"N
Longitude: -0.0038 / 0°0'13"W
OS Eastings: 538711
OS Northings: 177697
OS Grid: TQ387776
Mapcode National: GBR L1.HQ0
Mapcode Global: VHGR7.W1B9
Entry Name: National Maritime Museum
Listing Date: 8 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1211481
English Heritage Legacy ID: 395996
Location: Greenwich, London, SE10
Electoral Ward/Division: Greenwich West
Built-Up Area: Greenwich
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Greenwich St Alfege
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
4412 ROMNEY ROAD SE10
National Maritime Museum
TQ 3877 26/G53
Central block of the Queen's House, connected by colonnades to side wings.
The Queen's House. Inigo Jones, begun 1616, completed 1637. 2 storeys, 7 windows
on north-west front. Fairly low pitched leaded roof has square chimney stacks
with rebated angles. Stucco lst floor with stone dressings. Rusticated stone
ground floor. Moulded architrave, frieze, dentil cornice and balustraded parapet
with pilasters between bays. Sash windows with glazing bars. Moulded architraves
wmth cornices to 1st floor windows. On north front double curved stair to balustraded
terrace. On basement level, between wings of stair, a round arched entrance
with moulded architrave and keystone. On south front a slightly projecting
central section wmth open 5-bay gallery divided by Ionic columns on 1st floor.
Balustrades to 1st floor windows matching that of gallery. Plain reveals with
tiple keystones to ground floor windows. Segmental arched entrances under colonnades
at East and West sides.
Interior rather plain and solid. Original features remain, ie doors and doorcases,
marble fireplaces and the Tulip Staircase so called because of tulip flowers
in the wrought ironwork of the balustrade. Some enriched ceilings notably in
the galleried hall (geometrical with very high raised borders) and the later
east bridge room (geometrical with quatrefoil centre and very rich raised borders).
East and west wings. By David Alexander 1807-16. Road fronts of Palladian proportions
2 storey, attic and basement. Moderately low pitched, slated roof. Stuccoed
walls, stone dressings. Doric front of 6 attached columns, the outer ones square,
supporting entablature and blocking course. Ovev 3 middle bays an attic storey
with 4 pilasters rising to small cornice and blocking course breaking forward
around them. Balustraded parapet at either side and for 1st portion of returns.
Banded, rusticated ground floor with cornice. Projecting rusticated stone basement
with plain plinth. Moulded reveals to low, replaced sashes with glazing bars
on attic and 1st floors. Ground floor windows in moulded architraves, basement
windows with large keystones, both sashes with glazing bars.
On inner returns 3 projecting features, each with 4 Doric pilasters, support
entablature and blocking course. Balustraded parapet at ends. Similar fenestration
to fronts, except that basement windows at Romney Road end are round arched.
Rusticated ground floor. Heavily rusticated basement, vermiculate basement to
southern projections. Between projections 8 bays at back and 10 at front. West
wing forms left wing of symmetrical arrangement of 3 Western blocks, the far
west wing being similar. The centre block of this arrangement contains museum
entrance. 2 storeys, attic and basement, 4 windows. Doric attached columns,
resting on projecting rusticated basement, support entablature and balustraded
parapet. Columns paired at angles and at either side of centre bay, which is
further emphasised by pairs of projecting detached columns. Tall central entrance
arch to above 1st floor level has mask on keystone and Royal arms in tympanum.
Recessed panel above entablature has Naval arms under cornice and pediment.
Listing NGR: TQ3871177697
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings