This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.963 / 51°57'46"N
Longitude: -1.0693 / 1°4'9"W
OS Eastings: 464043
OS Northings: 229800
OS Grid: SP640298
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y0.SKF
Mapcode Global: VHCWS.FX2J
Entry Name: Church of St Mary and St Nicholas
Listing Date: 13 July 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1211496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 396032
Location: Chetwode, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, MK18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Chetwode
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Chetwode
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 62 NW CHETWODE
6/19 Church of St Mary and
Parish church, formerly chancel of Augustinian Priory church founded 1244.
W. section serves as nave, E. end is Early English and serves as chancel.
N. transeptual chapel rebuilt C17 as Chetwode Chapel incorporating Decorated
window. W. tower C15-C16. Partly rebuilt and re-roofed c1820. Rubble
stone, slate roof. W. tower has pebble-dashed upper section, hipped tiled
roof, perpendicular doorway and windows. Nave has small perpendicular
2-light window and window with Y tracery in W. wall, 2 Decorated windows
in S. wall, altered window in N. wall. E. end has lancets, a series of
3 to N. and S. and 5 to E. wall. Internally these have moulded arches on
shafts with moulded caps to E. window and caps carved with foliage and
beasts to N. and S. windows. S. window has C13 glass in central light,
C14 glass in flanking lights. E. window has glass signed by William Holland
1842. S. wall has Early English arcade over piscina, sedilia and priest's
door with moulded caps and dogtooth ornament between shafts and arch mouldings.
N. transept has Decorated arch to nave, plaster ceiling with wooden ribs marking
groin and resting on wooden corner shafts with carved heads to cap and base,
family pew with C17 panelling and cast iron fire-grate. Other fittings:
wall monument to Mary Risley 1668 with tablet flanked by mourning women,
C18 floor slabs, hatchments, C17 door, painted wooden panels dated 1696
in nave with pediments, side scrolls and inscriptions commemorating church
repairs by W Lawley.
RCHM II pp.85-6
Listing NGR: SP6404529798
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings