History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Wapley, Bristol, South Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5157 / 51°30'56"N

Longitude: -2.4138 / 2°24'49"W

OS Eastings: 371380

OS Northings: 179725

OS Grid: ST713797

Mapcode National: GBR JZ.HMJ7

Mapcode Global: VH960.35RC

Plus Code: 9C3VGH8P+7F

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 15 August 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1211521

English Heritage Legacy ID: 395949

Location: Dodington, South Gloucestershire, BS37

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Dodington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Yate

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Yate

Listing Text

ST 77 NW DODINGTON C.P. WAPLEY HILL (east side)

5/80 Church of St. Peter

G.V. II*

Parish church. C13, C15 top stage to tower, entrance to porch and other work,
restored 1897 by C.E. Ponting. Coursed limestone rubble, tower of coursed
sandstone and limestone rubble with limestone quoins, limestone freestone and
dressings, stone tiled roof with raised coped verges, plain tiled chancel roof,
cross finials to east of nave and chancel. Nave, chancel, south porch, south
tower, south chancel chapel. Early English and Perpendicular styles. West
elevation of nave has 3-light restored Perpendicular window with chamfered
surround, blocked door with Tudor-arched head, hollow-chamfered surround and
carved spandrels; north elevation has 3-light window with chamfered mullions and
leaded lights, blocked door with pointed arched head and chamfered surround, small
carved female head above; plinth, timber wall-plate, buttress to west; south
elevation has window with leaded lights, chamfered surround and hood mould.
Gabled porch has pointed arched door in surround of 2 hollow-chamfered orders,
studded double door with stopped hood mould. 4-stage tower in banded sandstone
rubble and limestone freestone, has small door and 2-light window above with
trefoil heads, leaded lights and hood mould; 2nd stage has C20 window with hood
mould; 3rd stage has pointed arched lancet with pierced stone tracery and hood
mould, 4th stage has 3-light Perpendicular window, similar tracery in upper
sections; embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles; polygonal stair turret to
west of tower with lancets, brattished stone wall plate below pyramidal cap and
finial; single quinquefoil headed light to each side of turret at 4th stage with
pierced stone tracery; string courses and buttresses to south. Chancel has tall
2-light window with trefoil heads, leaded lights and hood mould, blocked priest's
door with pointed arch and chamfered surround, and similar restored -light
window. Chapel has 2 south windows of 2 lights, restored, with trefoil heads and
hood moulds and restored Perpendicular 3-light east window with cusped tracery and
stopped hood mould. Interior: 4-bay nave has common rafter roof, with arched-
braces, principal arched-braces rising from corbels below brattished wall-plate,
plain wall-plate at tower crossing, collars and moulded collar-purlin with bosses;
north and south windows in deep splayed reveals west door blocked flush with wall,
north door blocked with chamfered pointed segmental arch and pointed arch for
former door; heavy door to porch with pointed arch and large horizontal fillets,
chamfered segmental head to-inner arch; pointed arch to tower with inner east
side rising from corbel, restored pointed chancel arch has jamb shafts with moulded
capitals as imposts for inner arch, squint to north. Chancel has scissors truss
roof, 2 north windows with pointed. segmental rere-arches, restored to west, plain
recess for blocked priest's door; C15 arch to chapel has elaborate stone
panelling on its soffit and pair of image brackets in its east jamb, smaller
similar arch over C15 chest tomb of John Codrington, 1475, with enriched
quatrefoils carved on panels round sides. Chapel has C15 corbel on east wall,
carved as angel, to support an image, piscina in south wall, hollow-chamfered and
moulded surround to east window. Arch between chapel and tower has Early English
corbelled shafts and relieving arch, pointed segmental-headed rere-arch to south
door and relieving arch, narrow studded door to stair turret with chamfered
surround and tall relieving arch. Porch has 2-bay roof as in nave, stone benches
with shaft base with broach stops to right, heavy studded door with strap hinges,
chamfered pointed arch, compass pattern scratch marking on jamb of door to right.
Fittings: Perpendicular octagonal bowl font with quatrefoils in nave; Stuart Royal
Arms of 1666-89 in nave; coat of arms in carved wooden surround in nave. C17
carved wooden furnishings, including 2 sanctuary chairs in nave and chancel,
2 lecterns in chapel and nave, panelled chest in chancel, communion rail, holy
table, panelled reredos incorporating shields of arms and panelling to north of
chancel, pulpit in nave incorporating pieces of C17 carving including head of putto.
Painted stone tablet in nave with skull and crossed bones, to Thomas Hooper, 1675;
marble tablet in chancel to Richard Oseland, 1769, by S.T. Emmett. (Sources:
Verey, D.: Buildings of England Gloucestershire : The Vale and the Forest of Dean.
1970).


Listing NGR: ST7138079725

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.