This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.5426 / 50°32'33"N
Longitude: -4.9458 / 4°56'44"W
OS Eastings: 191375
OS Northings: 75572
OS Grid: SW913755
Mapcode National: GBR ZM.YS4K
Mapcode Global: FRA 07JM.P02
Entry Name: Prideaux Place
Listing Date: 24 April 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1212008
English Heritage Legacy ID: 396524
Location: Padstow, Cornwall, PL28
Civil Parish: Padstow
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Padstow
Church of England Diocese: Truro
PADSTOW PRIDEAUX PLACE, Padstow
8/120 Prideaux Place
Country house. Circa late C16, attributed to Nicholas Prideaux who inherited in 1581
and died in 1592. Extended and partly remodelled by Edmund Prideaux (1683-1745) and
possibly by his son Humphrey. Considerably remodelled by Rev Charles Prideaux-Brune
between circa 1810 and 1833 and service rooms extended in 1907.
Slate stone rubble with moulded granite plinth. Battered base to main range, not
continuing around the front wings and porch. There is a distinct straight joint at
the angle between the front range and the 2 projecting wings and the masonry of the
front wall is finely coursed whilst that of the front wings is rubble. Moulded
granite strings. South front refaced with ashlar slate stone in circa 1810-1833.
Slate roof with hipped ends remodelled between 1730-1758. Renewed rendered axial and
Plan: Only partial internal access was available at time of inspection (1987) and
the roof structure was not inspected. For a detailed account see H.B.M.C. report 12
The original house, attributed by Carew to Nicholas Prideaux, was probably of an
overall H shaped plan facing east with a central 2 storey porch. The hall on the
higher left hand (south) side of the central passage was heated by a rear later stack
with family rooms probably in the south cross wing, a parlour or withdrawing room on
the lower right hand side (north) of the passage with service rooms in the centre of
the north cross wing. The great chamber above the hall has a fine quality circa late
C16 or early C17 plaster ceiling.
Edmund Prideaux inherited Prideaux Place in 1728 and left documents including
drawings of the house. In an undated drawing of the east front, the house was
illustrated with gable ends to the front wings and there are drawings of the south
elevation wings as existing in the early C18 and with proposed alterations including
a remodelling of the windows. Many of the rooms have fine quality bolection moulded
panelling, traditionally reused from the demolished Grenville house at Stowe,
Kilhampton. This includes panelling in the reading room in the west wing, in the
south east room in the south cross wing, in the steward's room on the right hand side
of the passage and in the grand chamber above the hall which was divided into 2 rooms
and the ceiling covered. The hall was possibly remodelled in the early C18 and
extended to incorporate the passage; the hall was given a cornice and moulded ribs to
ceiling. The panelling in the hall is of at least 3 phases, the screen probably late
C16 or early C17 and the remaining panelling circa early C17 apparently reset.
Coeval with this bake-house range to the north west of the north wing may have been
added and retains several early C18 12-pane sashes with heavy glazing bars. In a
Borlase print of 1758 the house is illustrated with hipped ends to the front wing;
the existing arrangement being an alteration that was either executed by Edmund
Prideaux after his drawing of circa 1730s or by his son Humphrey prior to 1758.
Coeval with this the 2-storey north-east wing was probably added.
Rev Charles Prideaux-Brune inherited Prideaux in 1793 and much of the Gothick
remodelling of the house is traditionally associated with his work between 1820 and
1833. However, this work appears somewhat archaic in style and would normally be
associated with a late C18 date. The south front was refaced and remodelled with a
central battlemented bow with pinnacles ot the drawing room and oval bedroom above. A
new stair hall was formed in the extension to the rear of the hall and passage with
Gothick detailing and the south west block was refaced and remodelled to form the
In 1907 the rear court was infilled and in 1960 the parapet and pinnacles above the
south bay were reduced.
Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 1:2:1:2:1 windows east front with later
range to north east (right). Castellated parapets with moulded plinth to main range
and moulded granite strings. Central 2 storey porch flanked by 2 wings to right and
left. Inner east entrance has C17 tripple laped door with framing and moulded arch
with vase stops. 4-light mullion window in ground and first floor with 4-centred
arch to porch and 2-light mullion window above. 2 storey range to right with single
South front. Asymmetrical garden front with 4-centred arched openings and mullion
and transon windows. Central bay with low library tower to left which has a
battlemented parapet with finials.
Interior: Only partial access available and the roof structure was not inspected.
Through passage probably remodelled in early C18 when the partition on the higher
side was removed and the moulded hall cornice was continued around the passage. Fine
quality carved screen with circa late C16 or early C17 dentailing inserted on higher
side of passage. The panelling in the hall is reset and probably of at least 3
phases including small carved figures with rotating arms. C20 hall chimney-piece.
Moulded cornice and C18 moulded plaster to joists in hall. Bolection moulded
panelling in steward's room on lower right hand side of passage and in east room of
south cross wing. Drawing room in south cross wing has a circa early C19 moulded
plaster cornice ornamented with quatrefoils and the reading room to west has complete
bolection moulded panelling and fine quality carving. The library has a vaulted
ceiling and the detailing is of circa mid to late C18 style although traditionally
attributed to Rev Charles Prideaux-Brune's work of the early C19.
The Gothick detailing of the stair hall is also archaic for the early C19, but is of
a fine quality with complete plasterwork, canopied recesses and granite cantilever
stair with iron balustrade. Chamber above has a circa 1600 historiated plaster
barrel vaulted ceiling restored in the 1980s, depicting Susanna and the Elders.
(Compare with ceiling a Lanhydrock qv and figures in overmantles at Trewarne, St Kew
(qv). Full inspection of interior and roof structure not available.
HBMC report by D.B. Sumpster, 12 May 1986.
Cornforth, J 'Prideaux Place, Cornwall' Country Life, Feb 1, 1962 and Feb 8, 1962.
Listing NGR: SW9137575572
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings