This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7561 / 52°45'22"N
Longitude: 0.3953 / 0°23'43"E
OS Eastings: 561743
OS Northings: 320303
OS Grid: TF617203
Mapcode National: GBR N3Q.BR1
Mapcode Global: WHJP1.1ZJG
Entry Name: Duke's Head Hotel
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 11 June 2018
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1212229
English Heritage Legacy ID: 384336
Location: King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE30
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margarets with St Nicholas
Built-Up Area: King's Lynn
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
TF6120SE TUESDAY MARKET PLACE
610-1/7/259 (East side)
01/12/51 Nos.5 AND 6
Duke's Head Hotel
Inn. Newly built in 1683 for Sir John Turner, attributed to
Henry Bell, but this is dubious.
Brick, rendered and colourwashed to facade. Slate roofs.
Originally built round a central courtyard with timber-framed
galleries providing access to rooms. Greatly rebuilt and
3 storeys and dormer attic in 9 bays, the centre 3 broken
forward under a broken segmental pediment. Rising from this is
a pediment above an oval attic light. Quoins to all main
Centre ground floor with 2 segmental arches on brick pilaster
strips, the left one used as C20 entrance. Three 2-light cross
casements to left, 3 horned sashes to right. First-floor
windows all 2-light cross casements with floral scrolled
plaster lintels. Centre window elaborated with pilaster
surround and broken segmental pediment with laurel wreath and
coat-of-arms. Second-floor windows are 2-light mullioned
casements. Acanthus modillion eaves cornice. Hipped roof with
2 small hipped dormers. Cut-down ridge stack; further stacks
to north and south roof slopes.
North return wall in Market Lane of indeterminate brick
bonding. Various sashes scattered about, some in flush frames.
INTERIOR. Former courtyard reduced to a rump by later
building. At first floor are 2 round columns embedded in wall
to north side of former court and are only remains of outer
edge of the timber gallery. Fine closed-string staircase to
left of entrance hall in north-west corner of 1683-4. Rises
through 2 floors. Turned bulbous balusters with wide unmoulded
handrail and square panelled newels. Contemporary large-frame
fielded dado panelling. Principal first-floor room to west
(Nelson Room) fitted with large-frame bolection-moulded
panelling. 2 pine chimneypieces also with bolection mouldings.
All this 1683-4. Main lounge to ground floor with large-frame
panelling of 1967.
Listing NGR: TF6173320304
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings