History in Structure

Foreland Point Lighthouse and Adjoining Retaining Walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Countisbury, Devon

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.2454 / 51°14'43"N

Longitude: -3.7867 / 3°47'12"W

OS Eastings: 275389

OS Northings: 151096

OS Grid: SS753510

Mapcode National: GBR L3.1VYV

Mapcode Global: VH5JL.BY0N

Plus Code: 9C3R66W7+58

Entry Name: Foreland Point Lighthouse and Adjoining Retaining Walls

Listing Date: 24 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213091

English Heritage Legacy ID: 397611

ID on this website: 101213091

Location: North Devon, EX35

County: Devon

District: North Devon

Civil Parish: Brendon and Countisbury

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Countisbury with Lynmouth St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Tagged with: Lighthouse

Find accommodation in


SS 75 Sll
2/33 Foreland Point Lighthouse and
- adjoining retaining walls
- II
Lighthouse and adjoining retaining walls. 1900, with some mid - to - late
alterations. Cement rendered, lined as ashlar, possibly over rubble. 2-span hipped
Welsh-slate roof over domestic range and painted metal fittings to tower. Painted
rubble retaining walls with rounded copings and granite steps.
Plan: sited on the steep slope of the headland (Foreland Point); consisting of a
terrace with retaining walls and flanking flights of steps and domestic range with
covered staircase link down the slope to the circular tower on the north (seaward)
side of the site. Tower of 2 stages and domestic range of one storey with basement.
Exterior: lower stage of tower with plinth and frieze, small-headed wooden
casements to each side with raised quoined surrounds, and C20 flat-roofed addition
to seaward side housing fog signal equipment. Light-stage with projecting railed
walkway, lattice metal glazing bars (metal panels screening each diamond light on
landward side), domed metal roof with handrail and low domed cylindrical cap with
gilded weathervane. Linking corridor to domestic range with frieze and cornice
bands, and blocking course; each has side small wooden casements with quoined
surrounds, flanking central entrance. Domestic range with raised quoins, string
course between basement and ground floor to north, architrave and frieze barrels and
3 axial brick stacks to each ridge. 3:3:3 bays; wooden cross windows with raised
quoined surrounds. Three-bay end elevations with wooden cross and central
boarded doorways, all with raised quoined surrounds.
Interior: of tower; largely unaltered since 1900, but converted to electricity in
1975. Lamp resting on mercury bath supported on 6 cast-iron columns. Lamp flushes
4 turns per second. Ground-floor with central weight tuke (formerly containing
weights for winding system used prior to introduction of electricity), and curved
wooden glazed cupboard with lead-lined sink in base. Cast-iron staircase with brass
handrail. Brass fittings throughout. Plaque inscribed: "THIS LIGHTHOUSE/WAS
ENGINEER-IN-CHIEF". Interior of domestic range not inspected.

Listing NGR: SS7538951096

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.