History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pair of Beam Engine Houses with Linking Boiler House at Deptford Sewage Pumping Station

A Grade II Listed Building in Greenwich, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4772 / 51°28'37"N

Longitude: -0.0184 / 0°1'6"W

OS Eastings: 537708

OS Northings: 177216

OS Grid: TQ377772

Mapcode National: GBR L1.L1J

Mapcode Global: VHGR7.M4MG

Entry Name: Pair of Beam Engine Houses with Linking Boiler House at Deptford Sewage Pumping Station

Listing Date: 16 December 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1213334

English Heritage Legacy ID: 397899

Location: Greenwich, London, SE10

County: London

District: Greenwich

Electoral Ward/Division: Greenwich West

Built-Up Area: Greenwich

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Greenwich St Alfege

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Deptford

Listing Text

GREENWICH HIGH ROAD
(west side)

Pair of beam engine
TQ 3777 25/602 houses with linking
boiler house at Deptford
Sewage Pumping Station

II GV

Pair of beam engine houses with linking boiler house. Opened 1865 and designed
by Sir J W Bazalgette; extended 1905. English bond grey brick with limestone
dressings; shallow-pitched hipped Welsh slate roofs. Italianate style. Each
2-storey beam house is of 3 by 5 bays and is articulated by giant order of Tuscan
pilasters rising to parapet with moulded stone cornice. Each main elevation
has steps with cast-iron railings which rise to panelled double doors set in
classical architrave with cornice above overlight. Square-headed stone-corniced
windows to ground floor and sem-circular arched windows to upper floor, all
with small panes to cast-iron casements. Louvred lantern finials to roofs.
Beam engine house extended to south in matching style in 1905. One-storey boiler
house has similar casements set in semi-circular arched window architraves to
front and 8-bay arcade of semi-circular arches on moulded imposts to rear, whence
coal was brought via the coal sheds (q.v.); continuous strip clerestory light
to roof. Interior: roofs of slate on wooden plank construction are supported
by wrought-iron trusses. Part of Sir J W Bazalgette's drainage scheme for London,
pumping sewage from the three main south London sewers up to the level of the
southern outfall sewer.


Listing NGR: TQ3770877216

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.