This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4708 / 51°28'14"N
Longitude: -1.1141 / 1°6'50"W
OS Eastings: 461630
OS Northings: 175016
OS Grid: SU616750
Mapcode National: GBR B3Y.M57
Mapcode Global: VHCZ8.M9WC
Plus Code: 9C3WFVCP+89
Entry Name: Bere Court and Bere House
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Last Amended: 19 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1213565
English Heritage Legacy ID: 397996
Location: Pangbourne, West Berkshire, RG8
County: West Berkshire
Civil Parish: Pangbourne
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Pangbourne with Tidmarsh and Sulham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 67 NW PANGBOURNE BERE COURT ROAD
2/44 Bere Court And Bere
House (formerly listed
as Bere Court)
House, now 2. Founded circa C13 with alterations in the C16 and circa 1670, refaced
circa mid C18, and circa 1820 additions to west. Stone with red brick facing
and rendered plinth. Hipped old tile roof with central flat roofed square.
Square plan. 2 storeys and attic. Plinth, plat band to south; cornice,
parapet, and 4 stacks. 5 dormers to east with segmental pediments except
outer 2 with triangular pediments, 4 gabled dormers to south with 2-light
casements, and 4 segmental headed dormers to west. North front: 7 bays with
width differences, glazing bar sashes with gauged heads and keystones.
Central first floor round arched window with imposts and keystones. Central
6-panelled door, with 4 upper panels fielded and lower 2 flush, and radial
fanlight. Doorcase consisting of 2 attached unfluted Doric columns supporting
triglyph frieze and cornice. 6 bay east front with ground floor French casements
and blind hoods. 8 bay south front with some blind windows, 2 central French
casements, and 6-panelled door in third bay from left. Large arched staircase
window to west. Former service wing to west: red brick with hipped slate roof.
2 storeys. Central ridge stack. 3 bays, glazing bar sashes with louvred
shutters. Door in lower block to right. Interior: delicate decorative
C18 plasterwork in entrance hall with medallions and festoons etc. 3 arches to
south, C18 doorcases, and fireplace. Central mounting 3-flight fork staircase with C19
balustrade and C18 decorative wall plasterwork. Ground floor room with late
C17 panelling and fireplace with carved surround and cornice. Central first
floor room with C18 panelling and architraves. First floor room to south
with C18 panelling, C18 fireplace, flat quadripartite C16 ceiling with moulded
beams, and lately revealed but mutilated early C16 clunch fireplace and
overmantel with cartouches and shells. Other rooms contain C18 panelling
and fireplaces. Vaulted cellars. A section of stone vault rib used as
rubble infil has recently been found (1983). This house was used as the
residence of the Abbots of Reading, being especially favoured by the last,
Hugh Faringdon. C18 drawings show outbuildings to east, possibly including
the former chapel, which were demolished about 1820. V.C.H. (Berks), Vol.3,
p.303; B.O.E, Berkshire, p.192; Berkshire Architectural Guide, Betjeman and
Piper, Murray, 1949, p.137.
Listing NGR: SU6163075016
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings