This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.042 / 51°2'31"N
Longitude: -3.7086 / 3°42'30"W
OS Eastings: 280312
OS Northings: 128352
OS Grid: SS803283
Mapcode National: GBR L6.GQ93
Mapcode Global: FRA 363C.K03
Plus Code: 9C3R27RR+RH
Entry Name: Champson Farm Cottage middle Champson
Listing Date: 24 November 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1213749
English Heritage Legacy ID: 398319
Location: Molland, North Devon, Devon, EX36
Civil Parish: Molland
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Molland St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
MOLLAND SOUTH DOWN LANE
20/91 Middle Champson and Champson Farm
Farmhouse, now house, and adjoining farm cottage. Early C17 house with probably
early to mid - C18 cottage. Mid - to late C20 alterations (thatched removed in
1961). Rendered, probably over stone rubble and cob. Gable-ended corrugated-
asbestos roof, formerly thatched, with catslide over outshut to rear. Rendered
Plan and development: C17 two-room baffle-entry plan house to right, facing south.
Central axial stack serving the left-hand room with altered dog-leg staircase behind,
partly incorporated in later rear outshut, and right-hand room with integral end
stack. Probably C18 two-room plan cottage adjoining to left, with integral end stack
to left-hand cottage. Continuous outshut at rear of both houses, possibly a later
addition. That part to rear of right-hand cottage incorporates dairy, reduced in
size. Eaves of right-hand cottage raised at some time, probably in the C19. Front
doorway of right-hand house formerly had C17 carved door surround consisting of
flanking small carved figures (seen in drawing, but not in possession of the owner).
The surround was removed c. 1983 but is said to be extant. The occupant (1987)
recalls an inscribed date: 1635. Two storeys with one-storey outshut.
Exterior: Asymmetrical 2-window front to right-hand cottage; C19 wooden casements, 2-
light to first floor and 3-light to ground floor. Central boarded door. Left-hand
cottage with two-window front; 2- and 3-light early C20 wooden casements. Central
Interior: Only right-hand house inspected internally. Door between entrance lobby
and right-hand ground-floor room is of c. 1700 with 2 raised and fielded panels.
Left-hand ground-floor room has blocked open fireplace with chamfered wooden lintel,
cupboard with C19 two-panelled doors and C18 H-hinges, and window seat in front
window. Right-hand ground-floor room has old cupboard to left of fireplace with C18
butterfly hinges. C19 dog-leg staircase, with evidence of earlier staircase. Dairy
(reduced in C17) in right-hand end of outshut with low slate shelves. First-floor
rooms with old floorboards. Old boarded door with old strap hinges to right-hand
bedroom. Right-hand bedroom has C17 cupboard to right of fireplace with scratch-
moulded door and H-hinges. Cupboard in rear wall too with H-L hinges. C17 roof
trusses, with late C20 roof above.
Listing NGR: SS8031228352
Other nearby listed buildings