History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade I Listed Building in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1435 / 53°8'36"N

Longitude: -1.193 / 1°11'34"W

OS Eastings: 454078

OS Northings: 361009

OS Grid: SK540610

Mapcode National: GBR 8F5.Z24

Mapcode Global: WHDFZ.N73Z

Plus Code: 9C5W4RV4+9R

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 19 December 1955

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1214166

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391683

Location: Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG18

County: Nottinghamshire

Electoral Ward/Division: Portland

Built-Up Area: Mansfield

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Mansfield St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
Mansfield

Description


MANSFIELD

SK5461 CHURCH SIDE
924-1/6/29 (North East side)
19/12/55 Church of St Peter and St Paul

GV I

Parish church. West tower late C12, raised C14, spire 1666,
restored 1897. North aisle C13 and C14. Nave C14. Clerestorey,
south aisle north and south chapels and transept C15. Chancel
c1475, incorporating C12 fragments. North and south porches
C19. Vestry c1905. Restored C19.
MATERIALS: coursed rubble and ashlar, with ashlar dressings
and leaded and plain tile roofs.
EXTERIOR: plinth, sill band, impost band and crenellated
parapets. Vestry has moulded plain parapet, porches have coped
gables.
Chancel east end has flush side chapels, each with a diagonal
buttress. Central 5-light pointed-arch window with Decorated
tracery flanked by single 3-light pointed-arch windows with
Perpendicular tracery, all with hoodmoulds and stops. South
chapel has to south a flat-headed 3-light window with
Perpendicular tracery. North chapel has a central pointed
arched door with hoodmould and stops, flanked by stepped
single buttresses. Beyond, to east, a 2-light, and to west a
3-light window, both with flat heads.
Single-storey vestry, to east, has clerestorey roof and to
south, 2 flat-headed plain 3-light windows. In the return
angle, a porch with door to east and single window to south.
Nave clerestorey has on each side 4 restored flat-headed
3-light windows.
South transept has a 3-light pointed arch window with
Perpendicular tracery to south and a similar flat-headed
2-light window to east. South aisle, 4 bays, has 3 flat-headed
3-light windows with Reticulated tracery, the smaller one to
west of the porch with less tracery. West end has a 4-light
pointed arch window.
North aisle, 4 bays, has to east a 3-light pointed-arch window
with Decorated tracery, then to west a 2-light pointed-arch
window, and beyond the porch, a single lancet, all with
hoodmoulds. West end has a 3-light pointed-arch window with
Perpendicular tracery.
North and south porches have flanking buttresses and moulded
pointed-arched doorways with shafts, hoodmoulds and stops, and
wooden gates. On either side, double lancets. Arch braced
roofs and moulded doorways with hoodmoulds, that to north
flanked by tomb slabs.
Square unbuttressed west tower, 3 stages, has string courses
and crenellated parapet with gargoyles. Ground stage has to
west a round-arched doorway with hoodmould, and above it, a
small round-arched window. Second stage has on 3 sides a
round-arched double bell opening with round shafts and
waterleaf capitals. Bell stage has on each side a 2-light
pointed-arch bell opening with hoodmould. Set back octagonal
spire has a single tier of pedimented lucarnes, ball finial
and weathercock.
INTERIOR: double chamfered chancel arch with clustered
responds and hoodmould. Low pitched renewed roof with moulded
beams, panelled ceiling and bosses. Arch braces on corbels.
East end has sill band and stained-glass window by Kempe,
1905, flanked to right by an ogee headed door. Elaborate
corniced reredos. North and south sides have 2 chamfered
pointed arches with half-octagon responds and C19
Perpendicular style traceried screens, with leaded glass in
the west bays. South side has to east a chamfered pointed
piscina and elliptical arched aumbry.
Side chapels have renewed low pitched lean-to roofs with arch
braces and traceried spandrels. South chapel has stained-glass
east window, 1875, flanked by ogee-headed door to left, and to
right by an incised slab to a priest, c1280. South side has an
elliptical arched piscina, and the north side a squint.
Transept contains organ in Baroque-style case.
North chapel of St George has traceried panelled reredos,
c1918, and stained-glass east window, C19. North-west window
has stained glass, 1912.
Nave has 4-bay arcades with tall slender square piers with
demi-shafts with fillets, double chamfered arches with
hoodmoulds and mask stops. Renewed low pitched roof with arch
braces on corbels. West end has late C12 rebated tower arch
with square responds, and above it, a large round-arched
opening. Tower chamber has splayed corner with round-arched
doorway, and west window with stained glass, 1900.
Aisles have renewed roofs with traceried spandrels, internal
porches, and at their east ends, double chamfered arches with
Perpendicular style traceried wooden screens. South aisle has
to east a chamfered C13 piscina and square aumbry, and above
them a stained-glass window, c1870. To west, a segment-arched
tomb recess with a male figure c1300, and above it, a
stained-glass window c1889. South-west and west windows have
stained glass c1890.
North aisle has 2 windows flanking the porch with stained
glass c1872, and north east window with stained glass, 1902.
FITTINGS: C19 round ashlar pulpit with alabaster dressings,
chamfered square ashlar font with marble shafts, and brass
eagle lectern. C19 plain stalls and benches with mayor's pew
with crest and motto.
MONUMENTS: numerous brasses, early C17 to early C19. Restored
painted stone inscribed tablet with scroll top and crest in
oval cartouche, 1634. Charity board c1670. Mid C18 double
tablet with scrolls and cornice. 4 marble and slate tablets,
late C18 and early C19. Segment headed war memorial tablet,
c1918.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E:
Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 168).


Listing NGR: SK5407761010


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.