This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7374 / 50°44'14"N
Longitude: -2.5783 / 2°34'41"W
OS Eastings: 359287
OS Northings: 93247
OS Grid: SY592932
Mapcode National: GBR PT.N5Q0
Mapcode Global: FRA 57H4.7CM
Plus Code: 9C2VPCPC+XM
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas of Canterbury
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214304
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399076
Location: Compton Valence, Dorset, DT2
Civil Parish: Compton Valence
Traditional County: Dorset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Dorset
Church of England Parish: Compton Valence St Thomas a Beckett
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SY 59 SE COMPTON VALENCE VILLAGE
5/22 Church of St Thomas of
GV II *
Parish Church. West Tower, C15. Rest of church entirely rebuilt in 1838-9
using C14 Gothic features by Benjamin Ferrey, at expense of Robert Williams
of Bridehead. West Tower, Nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel
with polygonal sanctuary, north vestry. Crypt under chancel. Greensand
rubble walls, with lias stone buttresses and window dressings. Stone slate
roofs. Tower roof of lead. West tower, with diagonal buttresses, two stages,
with an embattled parapet and C19 stair turret on the north side. West window
of 2 trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head label and head-
stops, mullion and tracery renewed. Bell-chamber has in each wall a window
of 2 trefoiled lights in a square head, the lights are filled with pierced
quatrefoils. Nave of 4 bays, divided by very massive buttresses in 2 stages
3 windows, each of 2 ogee-trefoiled lights with a quatrefoil in a 2-centred
head with a label. North aisle has 4 windows, each of one ogee-trefoiled
light. South porch has diagonal buttresses and a south gable with moulded
kneelers, coping and foiled apex-stone. The outer archway has moulded jambs
and a moulded 2-centred head. Niche in the wall above with trefoiled head.
Porch has a sexpartite stone ribbed vault. Chancel has a 3-sided sanctuary,
containing in each face a 3-light window with tracery in a 3-centred head.
Buttresses between with gable-shaped weatherings. Moulded cornice is enriched
with ball-flower. North vestry, has in the east wall a window of 2 trefoiled
lights in a square head, doorway in the north wall. Interior: tower has C19
tower-arch, and a C19 ribbed vault with central boss carved with an angel.
Nave arcade has depressed 2-centred arches, main hollow-chamfer moulding continued
down the piers. Chancel has a sexpartite ribbed vault, springing from carved
and moulded corbels, at the east end the wall-ribs form window rere-arches.
Roofs of nave and aisle are wood, C19. Fittings: font, octagonal bowl with
splayed underside with paterae, octagonal stem and concave plinth decorated
with small shields, C15. Pulpit: stone, 5-sided on a flared stem, each face
panelled, C19. Reredos, stone, 3 panels with cinquefoil cusping and foliated
gablets, Communion prayers. Benches, complete set, oak with simple poppy-heads,
C19. Monuments : N. wall, to Ann (Chappell) wife of Samuel Best, 1740, stone
with flanking lonic pilasters, architrave and broken pediment.
(R.C.H.M. Dorset I, p.l04 (1); Newman and Pevsner, Dorset, p.160)
Listing NGR: SY5928793247
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings