This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3249 / 52°19'29"N
Longitude: -0.4542 / 0°27'15"W
OS Eastings: 505443
OS Northings: 270773
OS Grid: TL054707
Mapcode National: GBR FZW.603
Mapcode Global: VHFP9.2TQK
Plus Code: 9C4X8GFW+X8
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Margaret
Listing Date: 14 May 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214317
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399100
Location: Covington, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: Covington
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Covington All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 0470-0570 COVINGTON CHURCH LANE
8/1 PARISH CHURCH OF
14.5.59 ST MARGARET
Parish church built of limestone rubble, originally plastered with dressings of
Weldon stone. Roofs of old and C20 plain tiles, and lead. C14 nave rebuilt on C12
plan with a chapel on south side demolished in C15. Chancel c 1300 restored, with
chancel arch of same date. The west tower C14 partly rebuilt in the early C16 with
angle buttresses. Tower roof C16. The vestry, south porch, and roofs to the nave
and chancel C20. Reset into the building are features of the C12 church.
The chancel has 3 original windows each of 2 lancet lights; 2 in south wall have a
spandrel with a quatrefoil. The glass of the north window has a C14 shield of arms.
The piscena has chamfered jambs and trefoiled head. In the north wall is a
rectangular recess. C12 door reset in south wall, has chamfered jambs and round
arch with moulded imposts and label. Two-centred chancel arch has responds with
The nave north wall has 2 C14 windows of 3 and 2 ogee lights. The C12 north door
has chamfered jambs and lintel, moulded imposts, round arch and chamfered label;
the tympanum has a carved griffon and lion. In the south wall a C15 window is set
in the sealed C14 2-centred arch leading to the former chapel. High in the external
wall is a sealed doorway. The south doorway, early C13, has a 2-centred arch richly
moulded, the 2 shafts to the jambs have foliate capitals.
The tower of 3 stages has a pyramidal roof. The early C16 tower arch has been rebuilt
with earlier material. The west C14 window has 2 trefoiled ogee lights. The belfry
windows are C16.
North door leaf has original C12 or C13 strap hinges. South door, possibly C14 has
5 v-edged oak boards, C16 strap hinges on modern battens. C16 rebuilt pews. C12
font octagonal, with scalloped base.
RCHM Huntingdonshire, p 64.
Listing NGR: TL0544370773
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings