This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0552 / 51°3'18"N
Longitude: -3.8022 / 3°48'7"W
OS Eastings: 273788
OS Northings: 129977
OS Grid: SS737299
Mapcode National: GBR L2.FYBJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 26XB.BKG
Plus Code: 9C3R354X+34
Entry Name: Court Hall
Listing Date: 9 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214368
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399111
Location: North Molton, North Devon, Devon, EX36
Civil Parish: North Molton
Built-Up Area: North Molton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: North Molton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
18/172 Court Hall
House, much reduced. Probably mid C18, mostly demolished in the mid to late C20.
Late C20 additions. Uncoursed stone rubble with some red brick dressings. Hipped
scantle-slate roofs. Rendered C20 additions with Welsh-slate roofs. Brick stacks.
Plan: L-plan. Former service wing to larger house. Rear wing with external lateral
stack and integral brick end stack. The main block of the house was attached to the
south and demolished probably in the 1960s. Later C20 addition to south and lean-to
porch to west. Two storeys.
Exterior: Centre block has first floor late C19 wooden cross window to left with
brick reveals and segmental head, and small inserted late C20 casement to right with
wooden lintel. Late C20 hipped-roofed porch has reused Tudor-arched doorway with
carved spandrels and ribbed boarded door. Slightly projecting block to left with
reused carved coat of arms to first floor (probably removed from Higher Lodge (not
included on this list) in the late C20) and 2 ground-floor C20 wooden casements.
One-storey C19 range to left with integral brick end stack. C20 addition to right,
with 2 windows to first floor and 3 to ground floor. Rear of C18 part of 2 bays,
with segmental-headed boxed glazing bar sashes (late C19 or C20 replacements).
Interior: Very fine reused wooden chimneypiece in ground-floor room of rear wing,
dated 1639. It was taken from Poltimore House near Exeter and installed in Court
House (q.v.), probably in the early C20, and moved to Court Hall in the mid to late
C20. Overmantel with well-carved free-standing equestian statue of King Charles I,
flanking round arches with free standing figures, much armorial carving and carved
frieze. Fireplace reduced in size probably in the early C18, with carved scrollwork
in lugged architrave.
Court Hall was one of the seats of the Poltimore family. The house stands in a
landscaped park on the edge of North Molton.
Despite the partial demolition and substantial alterations Court Hall has an
exceptionally fine early C17 chimney-piece (albeit introduced).
Listing NGR: SS7378429980
Other nearby listed buildings