History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Innisdoon and Attached Garden Wall and Gate Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.149 / 53°8'56"N

Longitude: -1.1998 / 1°11'59"W

OS Eastings: 453614

OS Northings: 361615

OS Grid: SK536616

Mapcode National: GBR 8F5.PG8

Mapcode Global: WHDFZ.J3WR

Plus Code: 9C5W4RX2+H3

Entry Name: Innisdoon and Attached Garden Wall and Gate Piers

Listing Date: 7 October 1977

Last Amended: 21 March 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1214391

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391699

Location: Woodlands, Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, NG19

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Mansfield

Electoral Ward/Division: Woodlands

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Mansfield

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Mansfield St John with St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in
Mansfield

Description



MANSFIELD

SK5361 CROW HILL DRIVE
924-1/5/44 (North side)
07/10/77 No.1
Innisdoon, and attached garden wall
and gate piers
(Formerly Listed as:
CROW HILL DRIVE
Innisdoon)

II*

House and attached service wing and flat, boundary wall and
gate piers. 1904-05, with late C20 alterations. By Barry
Parker and Raymond Unwin. For Walter Barringer of Mansfield.
Arts and Crafts style. White painted roughcast walls with
hipped and gabled plain tile roofs with 2 ridge and single
side wall stacks. Irregular triangular plan.
2 storeys; 3 bays. Windows are mainly wooden-framed casements
on the first floor and frameless casements below, all with
leaded glazing.
Northern entrance front has a central jettied gable with a
6-light window, overhanging a deeply recessed splayed entrance
with wooden lintel with Gaelic inscription and the initials
"WB-LB 1905". Half-glazed door flanked by 3 small square
windows. To right, 2 similar windows. Beyond, to left, an
angled corridor with 3 single windows. To right, an angled bay
with a single small window, topped with a stack with 4 square
flues set diagonally.
Garden front, to west, has a continuous first-floor window, 16
lights, 4 of them with transoms. Below, full-width tiled
hipped canopy covering central French window, flanked to left
by a 3-light wooden-framed window and to right by 2 larger
windows. Beyond, on either side, a canted bay window with 4
lights. Left return has two 2-light windows and below, 4
single windows.
South front has to left a triple gabled projection with three
4-light windows. Below, attached greenhouse to left and 4
reglazed windows to right. To right again, rear wing with
elliptical-arched carriage opening and above it, 2-light and
3-light windows. On the opposite side, a 3-light window above
the arch, and a similar window to right. Below, 2 single
windows. Under the archway, 2 small windows and a door on each
side.
2-storey service wing projects to south-east, with a lower
hipped garage at the south end. Large side wall stack to left,
adjoining carriage arch, and to right, a large flat-roofed
through-eaves dormer and a smaller dormer under the eaves.
Boundary wall, to south, coursed squared stone with half-round
coping and a pair of vermiculated square gate piers.
INTERIOR: detailing attributed to Cecil Hignett. Polygonal
lobby and 2-storey central hall with galleried landings. Hall
contains fitted settle and limestone fireplace with segmental
arch and enormous floriated keystone. Wooden dogleg staircase
with pierced splat balusters. Dining recess has folding double
doors on one side, to the former schoolroom, and double
sliding doors on the other. Sliding doors have exposed
wrought-iron hangers and tracks, and both sets of doors have 6
small leaded lights with stylised flower designs. Living room
has inglenook firplace with curved brass hood, and former
schoolroom has fireplace with copper hood and recessed ashbox.
Former kitchen has original fitted cupboards and settle. First
floor library has an oriel window with leaded glazing looking
onto the hall. Wrought-iron latches, locks, hinges, stained
glass and carving all part of original design.
An important and little altered example of the work of this
partnership.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E:
Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 173; Sparrow & Shaw:
Flats, Urban Houses and Cottage Houses: 1906-; The Craftsman:
1910-).


Listing NGR: SK5361461615

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.