This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6038 / 52°36'13"N
Longitude: -0.7961 / 0°47'45"W
OS Eastings: 481632
OS Northings: 301349
OS Grid: SK816013
Mapcode National: GBR CS8.PKC
Mapcode Global: WHFKT.RT37
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 10 November 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1214903
English Heritage Legacy ID: 399887
Location: Belton-in-Rutland, Rutland, LE15
Civil Parish: Belton-in-Rutland
Built-Up Area: Belton-in-Rutland
Traditional County: Rutland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Rutland
Church of England Parish: Belton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
SK 80 SW BELTON IN RUTLAND CHURCH STREET(north side)
3/8 Church of St. Peter
Medieval parish, church, externally largely of C14, resotred in C19. West
tower, nave with clerestory and S. aisle, chancel. West ower is ashlar,
and of 3 stages with embattled parapet above a quatrefoil frieze. Tall
traceried lights to bell chamber. Decorated west window with hoodmould,
West bay of S. aisle is a C16 reconstruction in ashlar, but a fragment of
the original masonry abuts the tower. S. porch of C.14, ashlar, with parapet
and huge gargoyles. Sundial over the archway, and within a C14. S. doorway
with corbel heads and finely moulded shaft and arch. Aisle is of coursed
squared rubble with renewed Decorated windows with stilted arches. Chancel
has priests door on S. side, with square headed hoodmould that is a continuation
of the string course. East window of 4-lights, in decorated style, though
a Victorian restoration. N. Wall of nave has a single C13 lancet but all
other windows are Victorian restorations in Decorated style. The masonry
here is banded rubble.
Inside, nave of 4 bays, and an early C13 arcade, with double chamfered round
arches on low octagonal shafts, with plain capitals; 2 have large grotesque
corbel heads carrying the outer chamfer.Easternmost respond has stiff leaf.
Victorian roof and clerestory lights. Tower arch of banded black and white
nasonry. Blocked N. door. Victorian chancel screen, and heavily restored
chancel with good glass of 1898, and an incised stone slab depicting a man,
his wife and their children, 1559. 2 alabaster shields in wall above.
Ornately painted and gilded organ.
Various C18 wall monuments in nave and aisle, and in particular, a large
memorial to Rowland Roberts and his wife, d. 1762, with inscriptions contained
beneath a scrolly broken pediment and sheild of arms. Font is C13: round
bowl on round stem, formerly with shafts. The bowl has incised arches decorated
with dogtooth carving.
Listing NGR: SK8163101353
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings