History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Perridge House

A Grade II Listed Building in Holcombe Burnell, Devon

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.701 / 50°42'3"N

Longitude: -3.6048 / 3°36'17"W

OS Eastings: 286768

OS Northings: 90271

OS Grid: SX867902

Mapcode National: GBR QQ.V3JF

Mapcode Global: FRA 37B7.3H6

Plus Code: 9C2RP92W+C3

Entry Name: Perridge House

Listing Date: 4 September 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1215603

English Heritage Legacy ID: 400864

Location: Holcombe Burnell, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge

Civil Parish: Holcombe Burnell

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Church of England Parish: Holcombe Burnell St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Exeter

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in
Longdown

Description


HOLCOMBE BURNELL
SX 89 SE
4/75 Perridge House

- II

House. Built by George Byfield (1756-1813) for Josiah White and probably completed
in 1813 (dated rainwater head). Circa mid C19 extension, 1906 wing, substantial late
C20 renovations. Brick, stuccoed and blocked out, hipped roofs with deep eaves
covered with Delabole and asbestos slates, rendered stacks with platbands.
The circa 1813 building to the west has a grand entrance front with a portico on the
west elevation and a 2-storey (originally single-storey) bow on the north elevation
overlooking a wooded landscape. The survival of some cob walling in the block to the
east suggests that a pre C19 house on the site may have been used as a service wing
to the 1813 building before alterations of the circa mid C19 in stuccoed brick which
included a water tower. In 1906 a new wing to the east of the block with the water
tower was added, in an early C19 style with deep eaves and sash windows. Late C20
alterations include an additional storey to the previously single-storey bow on the
north elevation and the replacement of the 1813 portico with a 1962 copy.
2 storeys. 1:3:1 bay symmetrical entrance front, the centre 3 bays break forward
slightly and rise high above the eaves as a pedimented entablature. The full width
portico of Ionic columns has 2 single columns in the centre, outer single columns,
and paired columns to the penultimate bays. The outer bays were enclosed in 1962
with round-headed windows with margin glazing. 3 sash windows inside the portico,
the right-hand window lengthened, 5 first floor 12-pane sashes, the 2 left-hand
windows blocked. The north elevation has a 2-storey bow to the left, the second
storey of the bow a late C20 addition with sash windows, the ground floor with a
large window with glazing bars. 2 large ground floor 12-pane sashes to the right of
the bow, smaller similar sashes to the first floor.
The water tower on the west elevation to the right of the portico has a pyramidal
slate roof.
Interior some early and mid C19 features including an early C19 stair with iron
balusters. The entrance front of the house is shown in an illustration of 1827.
Rudolf Ackermann, The Repository of Arts Magazine (1827) no. 60


Listing NGR: SX8676890271

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.