This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.3919 / 50°23'30"N
Longitude: -3.7029 / 3°42'10"W
OS Eastings: 279051
OS Northings: 56056
OS Grid: SX790560
Mapcode National: GBR QL.PVSJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 3840.F7V
Plus Code: 9C2R97RW+QV
Entry Name: Crowdy Mill
Listing Date: 30 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1215944
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101336
Location: Harberton, South Hams, Devon, TQ9
Civil Parish: Harberton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Harbertonford St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
15/349 HARBERTON FORD
30.8.88 Crowdy Mill
Water mill in working order and adjoining mill house on Harbourne River.
Circa late C17 or early C18, possibly with earlier origins, enlarged in about
1840s and the mill raised by one storey and re-roofed in 1900. Restored to
working order 1982-4.
Local stone and slate rubble. Mill heightened in rendered brick. Mill house
has slurried scantle slate hipped roof. Mill has slate roof at higher level,
hipped at south end and slate hung gable at east end. Rendered ridge stack
with slate weathering and slate hung stack on east side.
Plan: The original C17 to C18 mill and mill house was L-shaped on plan with
the mill to the left (west) with a projecting wing to the front (south) which
was extended after 1840. The mill house to the right (east) was extended by
one bay and enlarged to double depth plan to the rear (north) with a stack on
the side wall. A lower wing was added at the rear in C19, after 1840 (not on
tithe map). The ridge stack is the original gable end stack before the
extension was added. There is a small lower gable-ended wing to the north
of the C19 extension and a hipped roof single storey outshut in the angle.
Exterior: 2 storey house. 2 window range. C20 casements in original
openings. Left hand with slated lintels, right hand with flat stone arches.
Central glazed door with large rebuilt early C20 glazed porch with cast iron
finial and crested ridge tiles.
Mill to left (west). 2 storeys, heightened to 3 storeys in rendered brick.
L-shaped on plan with projecting wing which has a doorway in the end wall and
first floor door above with hoist. Small window openings on south and east
sides with C20 2-light casements with glazing bars. Doorway to first floor
from higher ground level on west side with small ventilation hole to right
with chamfered slate lintel and loft door above.
Interior: Roof of mill house has C19 nailed trusses and mill has circa 1900
roof. Machinery; restored working machinery. 2 overshot wheels, on north
side, turn in opposite directions. Upper wheel turns 2 sets of mill stones
through spur gearing and also drive ancilliary machinery. Lower water wheel
drive single set of mill stones. Lower machinery is lay shot drive.
Reference: Martin Watts. Industrial Archaeology, vol 17 no 1, spring 1984,
pp 47 to 51.
Listing NGR: SX7905156056
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings