This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5452 / 52°32'42"N
Longitude: 0.0877 / 0°5'15"E
OS Eastings: 541667
OS Northings: 296200
OS Grid: TL416962
Mapcode National: GBR L35.JYR
Mapcode Global: VHHHJ.G9Q5
Plus Code: 9F42G3WQ+33
Entry Name: Norland House
Listing Date: 22 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1216221
English Heritage Legacy ID: 401547
Location: March, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE15
Civil Parish: March
Built-Up Area: March
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: March St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 4196 MARCH HIGH STREET
23/26 No. 110
House. c1700, mid C18, late C18 and 1837 (dated stone). Mid-late C20
alterations. Narrow red brick with yellow brick details similar to No.125
West End, March dated 1691 (q.v). Refronted late C18 in narrow grey brick,
also English bond. This wall was rebuilt in mid 1970s reusing original
brick. Steeply pitched slate roof, originally parapetted, with end stacks.
The yellow brick quoins and tumbling can be seen in the rear gable end.
L-plan. Two storeys and attic. Two dormers with triangular pediments
flanking one with segmental pediment. Symmetrical facade of five late C18
recessed hung sashes of twelve panes each. Central doorway with c1975 double
doors. Adjoining the c1700 kitchen at the rear is a mid C18 service
extension of narrow local brick with rebuilt upper courses. Tiled roof with
tumbled gable end and original red and yellow brick ridge stack. The upper
courses were rebuilt in C19. One storey and attic. Attic storey has two
c1970 dormers. Original red and burnt brick, segmental arches to nine
openings at ground floor. One retains original panelled door with fittings,
the rest have C20 windows and doors. A further extension at the rear was
made to the house in 1837 by Thomas Aveling. Grey brick with yellow brick to
door and window arches. There is a dated stone with initials T.A. and date
1837 at first floor. Inside: Hall and stairbay with early C18 screen
archway with keyblock, on panelled pilasters. Original staircase of four
flights and two landings, closed string with pulvinated frieze, pear shaped
balusters, moulded rail and square newels, panelled. Dado to upper flights.
Both ground floor rooms at the front have sunken panelling in two heights.
The dining room to the left has double cornice, corner fireplace and
panelled shutters. There is an original connecting door to the kitchen. The
parlour is more richly decorated and has a modillion eaves cornice and a band
of quatrefoils below the dado rail. There is also a corner fireplace with
flanking fluted pilasters plain entablature and frieze of quatrefoils.
Original doorcase surround with dentil cornice and similar frieze of
quatrefoils. Another cornice has been reset above this one. At first floor
the chamber over the dining room has raised and fielded panelling also in two
heights, and a fireplace to the gable end with bolection moulded fireplace
surround. An original doorway, now blocked, leads to a chamber over the
kitchen which has one wall lined with bolection moulded panelling possibly
reset and a bolection moulded fireplace surround all early C18. The chamber
over the parlour has similar raised and fielded panelling but the cornice has
a dentil moulding. The fireplace, also against the gable end wall, is mid
C18 and is flanked by Doric pilasters with quatrefoils to the metopes.
Shouldered overmantel with smaller band of quatrefoils above and below the
original mantel with egg and dart, dentil and quatrefoil mouldings and
foliated bosses. Formerly there was a closet on the staircase on first
floor, with access from a doorway in each of the two front chambers. The
closet has been removed but the doorways, adjacent to the doorway to the
staircase, remain. The mid C18 addition has been converted to flats but a
newel and rail of early C18, survive possibly in situ.
Listing NGR: TL4166796200
Other nearby listed buildings