This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7169 / 52°43'0"N
Longitude: 1.6639 / 1°39'50"E
OS Eastings: 647549
OS Northings: 319547
OS Grid: TG475195
Mapcode National: GBR YNV.MHS
Mapcode Global: WHNVC.JZK1
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 25 September 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1216608
English Heritage Legacy ID: 402082
Location: Somerton, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, NR29
District: Great Yarmouth
Civil Parish: Somerton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: West Somerton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 41 NE SOMERTON WEST SOMERTON
2/45 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. West tower and nave c.1200, the former with C14 belfry stage.
Nave remodelled early C14. Chancel C15. Restoration 1867. Flint with ashlar
dressings and some brick repairs. Thatched nave roof and slated chancel.
3 stage tower, lower 2 stages are circular. Restored 2-light C14 west window
: trefoil-headed lights supporting quatrefoil. Brick lancet to ringing chamber
with pointed head and brick relieving arch. String course below octagonal
belfry stage. Single lancets to each facet, alternatively blocked with knapped
flint. Plain brick parapet. Diagonal west nave buttresses. Kneelers at west
gable of ashlar bearing rosettes and carved heads. Blocked arched south door.
3 2-light late C13 Y windows to south nave and one C18 sloping brick buttress,
slated. Above windows is a deep pantiled string course. This pattern similar
to north except only 2 windows : one of 2 lights and Y tracery as before.
The other 2-lights and cusped under square head. Gabled north porch has wave
moulded entrance arch with one order engaged columns. Thatched roof. Chancel
supported by flushwork diagonal east buttresses and stepped side buttresses
framing C19 Perpendicular windows. 2 of 3 lights each to flanks, one of 5
lights to east. Low priests door to north with 2 orders of wave mouldings.
Interior. C14 chamfered and hollow chamfered tower arch on polygonal responds
with capitals. Arched rere arches to north and south nave doorways. Mid C14
chancel arch has concave fluting to engaged columns, high polygonal bases and
star capitals, all no doubt by a mason who worked in the choir at Ely c.1328-
35. The jambs themselves are wave moulded and restored. Plain C14 octagonal
font. Late C14 wall paintings in nave. North wall has entry into Jerusalem,
Flagellation and Resurrection, all now badly worn. On south side
St. Christopher and large scene of Day of Judgement. C19 boarded scissor
braced nave and chancel roofs. C15 hexagonal pulpit with concave sides, the
edges moulded and each panel carrying ogee tracery. One facet open to allow
entry via C19 stairs, another, facing wall, is blank. Moulded top rail. Plinth
also C19. Reduced C15 chancel screen of 1½ bays each side of cusped ogee
opening. 2 lozenge traceried dado panels. Above are 2-light ogeed tracery
lights and panel tracery below top rail. Fleur-de-lys cresting to top rail.
Listing NGR: TG4754919547
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings