This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4346 / 52°26'4"N
Longitude: -1.8931 / 1°53'35"W
OS Eastings: 407366
OS Northings: 281854
OS Grid: SP073818
Mapcode National: GBR 61T.X4
Mapcode Global: VH9Z9.42KG
Entry Name: The Hare and Hounds Public House
Listing Date: 24 August 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1217149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 411927
Location: Birmingham, B14
Electoral Ward/Division: Moseley and Kings Heath
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Kings Heath
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP 08 SE BIRMINGHAM HIGH STREET Kings Heath
12/10070 The Hare and Hounds
Public House. Dated 1907 in gable, with minor C20 alterations. By Samuel Owen of Owen & Ward. Red brick with red terracotta dressings, tiled roof, polished granite plinth. Rectilinear plan on corner site. 3 storeys, 5 windows, central rendered gable with timber-framing with the words 'Hare and Hounds' and the date 1907. Windows are generally casements with multi-paned upper lights. Polygonal corner bay rises the full height of the building with mullioned and transomed windows in each of 3 storeys, rising through the eaves to terminate with an octagonal turret with clock faces capped by a lead dome. High Street elevation has entrances to former outdoor department and to bar. York Street elevation has 3 storey range with entrance with red terracotta pediment and overlights, now blocked and a two bay 2 storey range with bay windows. An attached range to the left is gabled with mock timber-framing in gable and box oriel at first floor level. Arched openings below altered. INTERIOR: some alteration with loss of partitioning, but otherwise retains an elaborate ensemble with mahogany bar counter, elaborate mirrored bar-back, walls with full-height glazed tiling and fixed upholstered seating. York Street entrance leads to hall with full-height glazed tiling with Art-Nouveau designs, and a curved mahogany screen with coloured leaded glass. Tiling continues up stairwell and along corridor to a function room which has a barrel vault ceiling with embossed plaster ribs, plaster frieze, pilasters and garlands.
Listed as a well-detailed and substantially intact example of an early C20 urban public house with an elaborate, well preserved interior with contemporary furnishings, fixtures and decorative elements.
Listing NGR: SP0736681854
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings