History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Cross

A Grade II* Listed Building in Upton, Wirral

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3735 / 53°22'24"N

Longitude: -3.09 / 3°5'24"W

OS Eastings: 327575

OS Northings: 386844

OS Grid: SJ275868

Mapcode National: GBR 6YVF.TF

Mapcode Global: WH767.HGSP

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross

Listing Date: 29 July 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1217887

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389154

Location: Wirral, CH49

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Upton

Built-Up Area: Birkenhead

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Woodchurch Holy Cross

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Moreton

Listing Text


BIRKENHEAD

SJ28NE CHURCH LANE, Woodchurch
789-1/3/289 (West side)
29/07/50 Church of the Holy Cross

GV II*

Parish church. Original build of C12, enlarged in C14, C16,
and again in C20. Coursed and squared stonework with
Westmorland and Welsh slate roofs, and copper over most recent
work. Nave with west tower, 2 aisles and chancel. Nave is the
earliest part of the building, with south aisle and chancel
added in C14, rebuilt in C16. Tower refaced in later C17, but
largely C14. Two stages, the first stage very high. Massive
stepped angle buttresses to SW and NW added in 1675 (dated).
Square stair turret to SE. 3-light Decorated window to
bellchamber with clock below. Embattled parapet with some head
corbels below. Gabled south porch added in C16: 4-centred
archway in squared architrave with paired shafts on high
bases. Niche for statue over doorway. 4-centred arched inner
doorway in incised architrave. Shallow piscina to east of
doorway. Stained glass fragments in east and west windows.
Buttresses divide the aisle into bays: 4 windows, one to west
of porch. C16, square-headed, with transoms and segmentally
arched lights in two windows, the others with reticulated
tracery. 4-light window in east wall of aisle. South wall
faced with well coursed and squared stone work, but the fabric
of the original C14 aisle visible in east and west walls. Long
chancel with coursed and squared white stone facing. Doorway
towards east and one 3-light square headed Perpendicular
window. Small single-light windows north and south of east
end. Chancel east wall refaced 1780 in well coursed and
squared white stonework, inscribed in gable, "November ye 3
Work done by Samuel Hasel 1780". Possibly the entire chancel
was refaced at this time. 3-light Perpendicular window
possibly recut. North aisle added in 1964-5 by Hubert
Worthington. Coursed and squared red and white rubble. Square
chamfered west door and stepped segmentally-arched lights
above. 4 north windows echo those of south aisle,
square-headed with round-arched lights. Vestry added in NE
angle, possibly incorporating some earlier fabric. Interior:
4-bay C14 arcade with double chamfered arches carried on
octagonal shafts with simply moulded capitals. Stone dated
1584 inset over one arch may possibly date the C16 work on the
church. Curved principal roof trusses with cusped wind braces.
Small piscina towards east. Arcade to north of 1964-5:
Rectangular chamfered columns carry square headed arches.
Doorway with simple chamfered jambs re-set in east wall.
Semi-hexagonal responds to double-chamfered chancel arch with
rosettes in the capitals. Chancel roof has curved principal
roof trusses with curved struts over collar, and curved
wind-braces grouped to form a series of circles. Chancel
screen of 1934 by Bernard A. Miller, with carving designed and
executed by Alan Durst. Tall posts with low relief elongated
angels figures carry lintel with low reliefs of Sacraments to
west, and an altar flanked by stars and angels to the east.
C15 octagonal font with traceried panels carried on angel
heads over square chamfered base. Painted wood war memorial
triptych with gilded lettering and crucifix in canopied niche
on north wall. Perpendicular bench ends incorporated into
later stalls in chancel: traceried panels and poppy heads,
some worked as two-headed pelican and tumblers. Wheel-head
from cross incorporated into wall above chancel north window.
Stained glass: series of Flemish vignettes in chancel east
window, with small crucifixion added to east window (possibly
by Kempe). Flemish roundels in north window over foliate
ground which matches that to south which has a representation
of the Pentecost (possibly by Kempe). Larger chancel south
window has figures of Christ with saints Helen and Oswald,
symbolising the holy cross. Small vignettes and emblems in
east window of south aisle, dated 1844. Marble memorial on
south wall of chancel to Margaret Hughes, 1802, by W.Spence of
Liverpool. Plain panelled oak pews throughout.


Listing NGR: SJ2757586844

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.